Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded an AR 15 for a romanian PSL, what kind of accuracy can I expect?, and besides using lightball is there anything else i should know?

·
Gold Bullet member
4,043 Posts
Mistake? Inaccurate? The PSL is a long-stroke AK-type fire support marksman rifle, not a sniper rifle. So...its rugged, fires a reliable, heavy hitting round that has a longer effective range than an 5.56. If this particular example has straight sights and gas piston, I wouldn't say its a bad trade at all.

Keith

·
Diamond+ Bullet Member
1,636 Posts
Not so fast..

Perhaps the Guy had an excess of AR15's? Before you judge.....

The PSL is great for what it was designed for. It's meant to engage multiple man-sized targets outside the normal range of an iron sighted assault rifle. Say 4-600 meters--(800 if you are lucky) With the right ammo and optics, it can do that all day long. With a cartridge equal to .30-06 M2 ball ballistics.

It's a Designated Marksmans' Rifle. It's not an Urban Combat rifle... Or meant to be a pinpoint accurate tactical sniper's weapon.

There are a few tweaks that can be done to increase accuracy. A Red Star trigger, 8X or up optics, relieving the inside of the handguards a bit, adding a cheekpiece for a true cheek weld. With the former, myPSL can shoot 1-1.5 MOA with a few different kinds of Surplus ammo and a bit better with handloads.

It's a freakin' AK-47 on Steriods man! (or a semi-auto RPK with a scope--take yer pic)...... Not a Remington 700 PSS with a 6X24 precision optic.........

I Have a wide selection of weapons to chose from when I go to the range....... and I almost ALWAYS take a long the PSL when I go. It's just fun to shoot! Isn't that the whole point?

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,777 Posts
More to the point, we don't know what kind of AR he had. If it were a Vulcan AR, I think the trade well-worth it.

Abortion...I think you probably need to work on your epithets. That just doesn't really fit, regardless of your opinion of the rifle.

Davis

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Actually, Hacky is the one in need of a retroactive abortion. He simply cannot stop his mouth (fingers) from writing those bouncing checks against his arse! HAHA!

Wanted, ignore Hacky. He only posts to send PSL hatemail out. He HAND PICKED a POS PSL, and blames Romania for it. I think that he's actually a former Soviet with a hatred for anything/anyone who ran away from his beloved Rodina.

To the point, I haven't owned an AR in 25 years, because I simply prefer the Ak type actions from my experiences downrange. The PSL is a fine weapon when used within it's design perameters. It was designed as stated above with a few more objectives involved such as to engage crew-served weapons emplacements while the remainder of the Platoon manuevered onto the target area. For that, it is beyond/equal to it's other competition, provided you consider SVD's and the M76 to be derivitives of the same design. The SVD is completely different in action design, but they are pretty much in the same league from my experiences.

I would put mine up against any 5.56 or 7.62 AR/clone in the suppression mode, and use mine to "snipe" deer in poor light conditions, regularly. ;)

Hacky, wanna make an intelligent remark, now? One that doesn't make you look like a clown by continuing the "hate" for the rifle that you "hand selected"??

·
Registered
150 Posts
Had mine for almost a year now. Several hundred trouble free rounds. Installed a RedStar FCG and a new 8 power scope. Mine seems to love Polish light ball the best.

Off the bench, sub 3 inch groups at 300 yards is the norm. Out to 600 yards she'll hold 10 shot groups at 10 inches.

These are not "true" sniper rifles, but DMR's -- and goods ones at that ! ! :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
My replacement shot a .75 MOA (based on the 3 round group) at 100m after a break in/warm up - out of the box.. That is shooting off the tailgate of my truck on a .50 cal. ammo can and the mag pouch.

5 MOA @ 300m 20 round "faster firing than I should have" group.

I'll have the lower guard sanded by the next trip.

Exceeded the expectations of what I was told it would do on average (Some swear sub MOA, others gripe [see way above] lucky to get 4 MOA).

Operator is a big factor in accuracy.

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
what a misstake, AR15 is soo much better. PSL is very inacurate abortion from romania. Sorry.
Actually, Hacky is the one in need of a retroactive abortion. He simply cannot stop his mouth (fingers) from writing those bouncing checks against his arse! HAHA!

Wanted, ignore Hacky. He only posts to send PSL hatemail out. He HAND PICKED a POS PSL, and blames Romania for it. I think that he's actually a former Soviet with a hatred for anything/anyone who ran away from his beloved Rodina.

To the point, I haven't owned an AR in 25 years, because I simply prefer the Ak type actions from my experiences downrange. The PSL is a fine weapon when used within it's design perameters. It was designed as stated above with a few more objectives involved such as to engage crew-served weapons emplacements while the remainder of the Platoon manuevered onto the target area. For that, it is beyond/equal to it's other competition, provided you consider SVD's and the M76 to be derivitives of the same design. The SVD is completely different in action design, but they are pretty much in the same league from my experiences.

I would put mine up against any 5.56 or 7.62 AR/clone in the suppression mode, and use mine to "snipe" deer in poor light conditions, regularly. ;)

Hacky, wanna make an intelligent remark, now? One that doesn't make you look like a clown by continuing the "hate" for the rifle that you "hand selected"??

+! TW! I fixed the minor glich with mine and havent been dissappointed.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,655 Posts
The results reported here over the past few years have varied quite a bit. Some rifles are better than others like any other mass produced rifle which was originally designed for military use. Another big variable, as always, is ammo. Different rifles like different ammo, and match quality ammo is always a plus. The fun factor on these is high.

·
Registered
177 Posts

+1 TW1Kell
You reload and you make this sucker sing at 600 meters all day long, I love mine, ammo is cheap mil surp I use Czech silver tip 147gr in that catagorie if you want to bring out the accuracy in your Psl, reload you would be amazed at what you can do.. This rifle is a blast, I would take it over a AR15 any day of the week..;) Not to say I dont like ARs but for shooting, not even close..

·
Registered
73 Posts
You won't regret your purchase. As much fun to shoot as they are to look at. More than accurate enough to make informal 100 to 600 yard steel and paper shooting games interesting. Sure some of them have had issues but over all the satisfaction ratio has been by far to the good side from everything I have read in the last year.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I do believe that if you study the threads, you will see that most of us are more than satisfied with our PSL's. The few that aren't are simply so vocal about it, and in an unreasonable manner, that they get alot of attention.

Be selective in your choice, and I believe that you will be satisfied with your purchase. If possible, check the rifle over for the obvious problems mentioned; canted sights, poor finish that you cannot tolerate, improperly mounted muzzle brake (I have only heard of this once), etc.

I am rather finicky when I purchase a rifle, as I don't have alot of disposable "gun money". I tend toward selecting the best of the choices available and most often decline any purchase if the ones that I am offered aren't up to my standards. Then, I work with what I have purchased until it is what I want, such as improved optics, kit, and modifications within the perameters that it doesn't "harm" the original design. Examples: My PSL has an 8x42D POSP, my mag pouch is full as in scope sun shade, cleaning tool kit, stuck case puller, etc. is in it's slot, and I have "cleaned-up" my wood with 0000 wool and relieved the handguards, etc. I use a ruck for a prop when firing, as do the original operators, when in the field, so a bi-pod isn't a must-have.

I collect and shoot because I enjoy it. Going much fyrther than that would remove the fun and historic aspect of it, for me. Make your purchase, and enjoy it. You only get one "go 'round" in this deal, so you might as well have a lil fun, eh? ;)

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I am currently liquidating all my firearms... The ONLY rifles that won't get sold are the PSL, an AR15 I built, a CETME I doctored forever and a couple of AK's: SLR-95, FEG AMD and A MAADI PARS. Abortion from Romania?

·
Registered
36 Posts
wow WTF with the PSL hate upthread?

mine is freakin' sweet.. it's my favorite non-bolt full power rifle of any I've ever shot. 8x42D, a cheekrest and a bipod (before the bipod I used the mag pouch on a .50cal can like the other poster) She doesn't really need anything else. I usually shoot mid 80's hungarian, she likes it well enough. I probably over clean it, hell sometimes i'll take it out and clean it even when it hasn't been shot since the last cleaning :)

damn Oklahoma wind makes long shots hard, but she kills 200 yard bowling pins really well :)

My friend has an M40 clone, and it is more accurate, but i can put 2-3 on the target in the time it takes him to put 1 in the bull at 300-500... (range here is only 500yards) and really thats the point of the PSL, long range support fire. Also the reason they have 10rd mags, and are semi-auto.

Also my hungarian spam cams are cheap, so i can afford to shoot the hell out of my PSL and make myself a better marksman, because really 90% of the time my PSL is still more accurate than I am. :) I really should sandbag it and see how well it does.

-Jeff

·
Gold Bullet member
4,043 Posts
wow WTF with the PSL hate upthread?
Um...I think you need to read the whole thread.

I counted only one hate post. The rest of the thread seems quite in the PSL's favor :) . VMMV of course.

Keith

1 - 20 of 71 Posts