Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I saw a PAR-1 up for auction on GunBroker today and was trying to remember when these were first imported. I can recall and have found conversations on forums as early as 02/2008, but does anyone have better data than that?

EDIT: Here's a pic from the listing for anyone who cares, lol.

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
I believe it was earlier then 2008, more like 1999/2000. they were imported for the California market and other states.. some dealers had them on their table, but it wasn't a big seller, people just look and walk by. I mean who would want a pump action AK? when you can have a semi-auto that looks like a AK

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Added a pic to my OP in case anyone wanted to see it. @frick one of the threads I found discussing the PAR was talking about that very thing. Guy was in PA and bought it for that reason.

Also saw a thread where a guy bought one and then another thread 1 year later where the same guy was selling it on Guns America. Apparently he wasn't impressed by it, LOL.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,462 Posts
They were dirt cheap. I bought a few in the 90's for less than $175. They can be converted to semi-auto if you want to. I little welding and drilling, that's it. The barrels are lighter than standard AKM types and the FGB/GB journal is different, so you have to modify the FSB. They make real good light weight little rifles.

A Saiga gas tube fits perfectly to replace the original.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I did read some discussion on the conversion as well. I kind of figured it was a Clinton era import, just couldn't remember when they first came into country.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Came in the same time as the SAR guns, 98-2004? The date of production should be engraved on the trunnion next to the serial number.
I saw the manufacture date on this one at 1987, but wasn't sure how that date correlated to actual import. That puts the build before the Clinton ban so, kind of makes you wonder if there was information released about the ban coming that caused the production of these to kick into gear or if it was merely someone's "bright idea" for a variation on the AK (or WASR in this case)???:D

·
Registered
765 Posts
Added a pic to my OP in case anyone wanted to see it. @frick one of the threads I found discussing the PAR was talking about that very thing. Guy was in PA and bought it for that reason.

Also saw a thread where a guy bought one and then another thread 1 year later where the same guy was selling it on Guns America. Apparently he wasn't impressed by it, LOL.
My buddy wasnt impressed either, horrendous groups, he sold it for a profit and moved on.

Far easier just to remove small gas piston from an SKS, and use it as a single shot.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Or get a Yugo and buy one of Murray's gas valves with the screw that locks it into the off position. Straight pull bolt action like the K-31s. Those M59/66s are pretty accurate that way.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Or get a Yugo and buy one of Murray's gas valves with the screw that locks it into the off position. Straight pull bolt action like the K-31s. Those M59/66s are pretty accurate that way.
If it can be unscrewed, not a good idea in a non semi state.

The first conversion I did on an AR 15, was to braze a spare gas key shut permanently altering it.

Removing the baby piston and spring, completely interrupts the system, and of course, don't keep the spare parts in the field.

PAs game commision utlizes true Gestapo, and the fish and game laws exist in a system all of their own, not part of the normal state statutes, you can't even refuse to answer questions, they don't need warrants to search for fish or game meat, etc, etc.

If it can be unconverted, you chance having the gun seized, and after that, who knows what happens.

Not a big issue, but, SKS rifles aint cheap anymore.

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
56,652 Posts
They were probably best used as a donor receiver for a semiauto build (swap a standard front end off a kit) or a conversion for semiauto using the (non) standard parts on the rifle. I still have my conversion although I used a modified G3 fore end on it :)

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I imagine that has been the case @mriddick
Apparently someone liked it enough to click on the bid button for the opening bid of $750 though. Maybe they are hoping to get it for that amount and then convert it as well. I'm not that into AKs (more of an SKS guy), but I think I'd go buy a BLEM AK from PSA for $600 with free shipping before I'd bid on the PAR

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I saw the manufacture date on this one at 1987, but wasn't sure how that date correlated to actual import. That puts the build before the Clinton ban so, kind of makes you wonder if there was information released about the ban coming that caused the production of these to kick into gear or if it was merely someone's "bright idea" for a variation on the AK (or WASR in this case)???:D
Sounds like a recycled trunnion. The actual new-part build guns have a deeply engraved serial with date. No arsenal marks.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I really didn't see this coming, but the PAR-1 sold for $1160 + $40 for shipping then possible tax and transfer fees. :eek:o_O To each his own

1 - 16 of 16 Posts