Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so most of these photos have been scoured from the interwebs and most of them are probably the other members here. I hope no one gets offended as it is in the name of research and the academic study of this variant.

I picked up what looks to possibly be the first RO m91-30 produced... I think... Most of these I can find are stamped AC5###...

Until I ran across a couple that are just stamped with a single digit... #4 and #5. The rear sight on these single digits seems to be more refined and has numbers that run all the way across the sight... See the photo of #5. The stamping style of the shank is also more refined - which makes me thing these are later rifles - does anyone know?

#4:

#5:

AC5001:

AC5011:

AC5017:

AC5019:

AC5025:

AC5028:

AC5040:

AC5046:

AC5053:

AC5054:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Based on what I've seen I assumed the rifle you won was production rifle #1when I saw that auction. These all have the AC prefix and 5 as the first digit (1955?), then the rest of the serial. Also #s 1 through 17 have a script type date, after that, blocky numbers. The ones with a more refined Mosin or the different Mauser style rear sight have the blocky date digits so either are preproduction variations where the date was switched to script font for initial production then switched back or are later production IMO.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Without a hands on examination it is hard to draw strong conclusions about what was original to these rifles when first built. I own #17 which has been thru a refurb and came out as a typical 91-30; the bolt and magazine are pre 1928 going by the older style arsenal markings on the parts; the rear sight could have been replaced by a standard 91-30 leaf and probably was judging from pics of similar Romanian examples. From the posted pics I can't tell if the rear sight bases are all the same... And as to numbering, they all look hand stamped or stamped/engraved. No clue as to the different styles...
Anyway, thanks to the OP for bringing these together in one spot for comparison!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks jp. Just curious is yours AC5017 or just 17, no AC50? Just asking as you see there are some with and without the prefix.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Like you I too have looked for a Romanian 91/30 for a loooong time.

i do not have one.

I only find out about them AFTER they sell. Congratulations on finding such a spectacular rarity.

·
Registered
613 Posts
These Romanian 91-30s came in during the good old days of the Balkan imports, were quickly bought up and have rarely resurfaced... mine came from AuctionArms back in early 2004 in the days when interesting stuff was on that site. I have not encountered any for sale since, altho I have not looked hard. So congrats to ouvarminthuter for finding his new treasure!

I still need to find a Polish 91-30 if they actually exist and are not a myth.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Still looking for a Romanian 91-30, closest thing I've found is a M91 PTG with Romanian stock. Your rifle looks great OP!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts