Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 1955 Romanian M44. Serial numbers on the receiver, butt plate and stock match. Bolt and magazine numbers both are different from receiver, but all parts of the gun appear to be marked with the Romanian triangle\arrow head symbol. Gun is missing the cleaning rod. Bluing on the gun is fantastic. The upper handguard appears to be a replacement because it looks like it is beech.

Here are my questions:

I could not find any information about Romanian stocks having been marked with the serial number of the gun. Was this done at a later date or is it original? (The stock does not appear to be refinished in any way)

I want to purchase a Romanian cleaning rod but have not be able to find any. Any recommendations where I can locate one along with a Romanian sling.

Last question, while shooting the gun I noticed that the upper handguard had moved forward. It appears that the rear barrel band does not lock into place. It looks like it does not go far enough back to allow the band to lock in. Is this because it is an incorrect part or something else that I am missing. I do have a T53 that I can try to check fitment. I have attached image of the handguard.

Thanks for any help.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
I dunno if Romanian M44s have Romanian stamped cleaning rods, the one remaining Romanian M44 I have has a cleaning rod that is unmarked - I would simply replace your missing cleaning rod with any M44 cleaning rod - IIRC Romanian cleaning rods are blued. I believe Romanian M44s come with stamped matching stocks, although when I had all the years of Romanian M44s, one of my carbines did not have a stamped stock, no numbers.

The bluing on these can be a stunning shiny blue, the all matching example I have has worn bluing with a shiny sharp bore!

Pahtu.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dunno if Romanian M44s have Romanian stamped cleaning rods, the one remaining Romanian M44 I have has a cleaning rod that is unmarked - I would simply replace your missing cleaning rod with any M44 cleaning rod - IIRC Romanian cleaning rods are blued. I believe Romanian M44s come with stamped matching stocks, although when I had all the years of Romanian M44s, one of my carbines did not have a stamped stock, no numbers.

The bluing on these can be a stunning shiny blue, the all matching example I have has worn bluing with a shiny sharp bore!

Pahtu.

Great to hear that the numbers on the stock are origianl. I will look for a replacement cleaning rod. I took the gun out for shooting and she IS a shooter!! One of my best shooting Mosins. Thanks for the replyies everyone.

Had some internet connection issues and have tired to reply like 5 times. Hope this time works. :confused:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The handguard likely was not original to this particular buttstock. You need to lightly file back the shoulder on the handguard so the band goes far enough back that the band spring pops up proud of the band and holds it in place. Just a minor fitment issue that should be easily corrected.
Thanks for the reply Claven. I measured the distance between the band and the stock and the width of the band. The band is wider then the space between the band and stock. I also tried another guns wood and it didn't make a difference.

I have looked for a replacement spring and am NOT able to find a stamped one, I found a milled one, but it is up there is price and wouldn't it be incorrect for this gun? Any one know where I can find a stamped rear band spring? Heck, I might want to stock up on these if I find any, seeing how hard they are to find.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
Thanks for the reply Claven. I measured the distance between the band and the stock and the width of the band. The band is wider then the space between the band and stock. I also tried another guns wood and it didn't make a difference.

I have looked for a replacement spring and am NOT able to find a stamped one, I found a milled one, but it is up there is price and wouldn't it be incorrect for this gun? Any one know where I can find a stamped rear band spring? Heck, I might want to stock up on these if I find any, seeing how hard they are to find.
If sanding away some of the wood on the handguard as Claven suggested did not/would not work, I would not be against taking the band spring out of the stock and filing away some of the steel to ensure it would work, should be an easy fix?

Pahtu.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.