Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a VZ24 that I believe is a Romanian Contract rifle. I don't have any experience with these, as this is my first, but it seems to be in pretty good condition for 200 dollars out of the door. The trigger is crisp and the bolt, even though mismatching, is smooth. The rifle shot beautifully, easily ringing steel plates at 100 yards.

The stock is a replacement, with the original serial number lined out. I'm assuming this was done by the Romanians post war?

There is also no sign of any crest on the receiver

The bolt is non matching, but all of the parts match itself. I'm not even sure if this is a Czech bolt, or a bolt from some other M98 pattern rifle that was slapped on.

I found it odd that the stock disc has no markings on it, what is the purpose of the disc? Should it have some kind of unit markings on it?

Hope you guys enjoy the pics, I'm really enjoying this rifle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
You appear to have a gew98 bolt. The bolt on my 1904 Danzig has the same acceptance stamps.

The king Michael and king carol crests were scrubbed post war by the communist regime.

Mine has the smoothest bolt of any of my Mausers.

Regards
Marty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,190 Posts
My Romanian King Michael crest VZ24 is s/n TR13263, a bit earlier than yours. Yours should have had a King Michael crest originally.

The Czechoslovakian Army used the rifle marking disks; the Romanian Army did not.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
One of the many Romanian imports. Yours appears to have had the bolt swapped for some reason.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
The last romanian contract, made in Slovakian plant of Waffenwerke Brunn,Povazska Bystrica, wrong Gew98 bolt and buttstock from first romanian contract, reserialed and refurbished by romanians.b.r.Andy

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Looks pretty typical of the Romanian imports, other than the GEW bolt. The varnished stock is a recent addition. Is it counterbored? VZ24's have risen in price like everything else. 20 years ago the wholesalers were selling rifles in this condition for $79.99. Now I'd WAG it to be a $200 gun, or more depending on who's selling and buying.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Looks pretty typical of the Romanian imports, other than the GEW bolt. The varnished stock is a recent addition. Is it counterbored? VZ24's have risen in price like everything else. 20 years ago the wholesalers were selling rifles in this condition for $79.99. Now I'd WAG it to be a $200 gun, or more depending on who's selling and buying.
To me it doesn't appear like it was recently varnished . Just a good looking stock, what makes it obvious to you out of curiosity ?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So it is a second contract Romanian VZ24 with a replacement stock that was from the first contract. What features would differentiate first contract from second contract and is it possible to get an accurate date of manufacture from the serial numbers?

Is the Gewehr 98 bolt a spare part the Romanians would have slapped on to a rifle during refurb or did somebody lose the bolt stateside and have to replace it?

I hate to hear that Bubba has done something to the stock. Is it your guys' general consensus that the stock finish is not original?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My Romanian King Michael crest VZ24 is s/n TR13263, a bit earlier than yours. Yours should have had a King Michael crest originally.

The Czechoslovakian Army used the rifle marking disks; the Romanian Army did not.
Any chance you could post a pic of yours here for a comparison?

·
15,190 Posts
So it is a second contract Romanian VZ24 with a replacement stock that was from the first contract. What features would differentiate first contract from second contract and is it possible to get an accurate date of manufacture from the serial numbers?

Is the Gewehr 98 bolt a spare part the Romanians would have slapped on to a rifle during refurb or did somebody lose the bolt stateside and have to replace it?

I hate to hear that Bubba has done something to the stock. Is it your guys' general consensus that the stock finish is not original?
First Romanian contract 1939 various serial numbers, second Romanian contract 1940 serial number prefixes AR, BR, CR, etc. Original stock s/n on subject rifle was E prefix.

Stock has been sanded and refinished. G98 bolt highly unlikely to have come from Romania but not impossible.

Serial numbers can usually date a VZ24 rifle very closely. Be aware that some old receivers marked (crested) 1937, 1938, and 1939 were used to assemble rifles in the 1940 second contract (which may have begun in late 1939).

·
15,190 Posts
Any chance you could post a pic of yours here for a comparison?
Not nearly as good as SteveK's crest:

(Photo sequence jumbled by Gunboards program)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
MWT, my thoughts exactly. Owning one, even if not perfect, is better than not having one at all. These, and the Carols, are very difficult to find. Bill, your Carol has a better crest than mine. I was at Century (1990-2014) when these came in and got to pick some guns before they went out to distributors (nice perk).
SteveK

1 - 17 of 17 Posts