·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Franchi
USA
368 Posts
Posted - 05/03/2004 : 3:49:44 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The information below is from my answer on a Romanian "SOG" import Beretta from "Tuco's" old Forum.
That refers to the First Forum, before August 31st 2003; this transferred post was in the Second Forum. Alexander

----------
Additional Romanian Beretta info.

In August 1940 a contract was placed with Beretta for 61,000 Model 1934 (9mm short "Scurt") pistols to be delivered within seven months. Due to Romania not paying for them all, and a shortage of steel the first pistols were not delivered until Feb. 1941, when 10,000 were delivered. 5,000 were delivered per month until 40,000 were shipped by Aug. 1941. The remaining 21,000 were not sold/produced?
The pistols "SOG" has appear to be arsenal rebuilt/refinished. Original Romanian Berettas will have a high polish blue, some will have a plumb colored slide and or safety. The barrel is blue, including the tip. The Safety "Fire" indicator indentation will have red paint in it.
The magazines on most of "SOG's" Berettas also appear to be post-war.
Does anyone have a magazine with "Beretta" or caliber markings?
War time magazines are unmarked.
The (CM) (EZ) etc. markings are the initials of Italian inspectors. Most Romanian Berettas will have (CM) on the right frame tang. Also some will have Italian commercial test proofs (crown PSF and 1941 or 1942 date) on the left frame tang.
Before the imports came in the low serial reported was 00413, the high 36761 which has a German WaA162 acceptance marking.
I collect data and would like the serials and markings of any Berettas. Post on the board or e-mail me at <[email protected]>, all owners are kept confidential.

David Franchi

·
Gold Bullet member
900 Posts
Updated date 10/2/07

New information on the Romanian Berettas (10/2/07). High reported Romanian is 39115.

There are at least three different Romanian slide legends and they appear not to be in specific serial ranges, except for maybe the "early" legend serials. It seems odd to me to have three different slide legends in a short contract, and to have the serials of the different legends mixed. The size and the style of the legends are all different so there are definitely different legends. Any ideas?
David Franchi

Top slide legend has a dash between the "T" in "V.T" and the l94l
(V.T-l94l)
Bottom slide legend has no dash (V.T l94l)

Top legend has been noted on serials: 34531 (shown), 30325, 24938, 17325, & 15586.
Bottom legend has been noted on serials: 36761, 33044, & 07537 shown).
[photo by Edward Roane]
-----------------

"Early" slide legend has no dash and a period after the "T" in "VT" (V.T. 1941) Also all the letters and numbers have "Serifs" (lines on the ends of the numbers/letters). Example: 1941 not l94l

"Early" legend has been noted on serials: 05950, 02953 (shown), & 00413.
[photo by Dennis Kroh]
--------------
Import marking on barrel.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi,

My Romanian contract 1934 Beretta can push your top slide legend database i.e. V.T-1941 down to serial # 13334.

It has (CM) marking on right side of frame above grip, and (TG) marking on left side in front of trigger on the guard.

I also have two variants of the war-era magazines.

First magazine came with the pistol - no stamping on back

2nd was bought separately, stamped Cal. 9 Corto P.B.

Regards,
Jason

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thank you. It is surprisingly accurate and handy for concealed carry.

Not that it is a big deal for me, but I thought unmarked cutout magazines dated to WW2?

-Jason

·
Gold Bullet member
900 Posts
Jason, I believe all M1934/35's have cutout magazines. The finger rest is the giveaway on the post-war mag, thicker/heavier than war time. WWII magazines are also not caliber marked.

David

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
2,661 Posts
My Romanian M1941 has different fonts than shown. Upper and lower lines have different type fonts.
Bought this one from SOG when they were first offered.

Capture2.JPG

b20.jpg

Capture1.JPG

DSCF0017.JPG

DSCF0018.JPG

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Sorry but I don't understand your problems about writings and their fonts: the printing matrix was intend to last for about 1500 passages, so there is nothing strange if a new matrix was used once in a while.

PS: this last magazine is a post war one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts