Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one that is a single shot & has an anchor in the small crest on top of the rec.
Did Romania have a Navy ? This rifle is quite heavy & has a bbl nearly 28 " long.
It id dated 1956 in front of the ser.# Or does the anchor mean something else other
than Navy use? I have another one that is a five shot mag fed repeater. It is dated
1988 . It is much shorter & lighter than the other one. Also is not nearly as well made .
What is the going rate for these now? I think the importers are out of them now.
Originally I think they sold for about $50-$60 . Any & all help is much appreciated.
Thanks
jth

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
6,263 Posts
Anchor? got pic?

SlimTim

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can,t do the pics , but will try & give a better description. The crest is oval shaped & about
three quarters of an inch high, Look like has an anchor with what looke like a rifle & propeller on top of the anchor, all together. both sides have what look like wheat stalks.
At the bottom are the letters ( AVSAP ) This is all rear of the chamber area.
In front of the chamber is a logo ( UMC) over (UGIR ) I think !
thanks again
jth

·
6,263 Posts
Interesting. The UMC over CUGIR is normal, the rest I've not heard of previously. That doesn't mean that someone else might not know of it. Sounds neat!

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=19435

A.V.S.A.P. cold be the acronym of Asociaţia Voluntară pentru Sprijinirea Apărării Patriei (Voluntary Association for Supporting the Defence of the Motherland), a paramilitary organisation modelled after the soviet DOSAAF. It was established in 1952 and disbanded in 1962.
This might be more accurate:

http://www.airclub.rdsnet.ro/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=14

In 1954 it became A.V.S.A.P.- Asociatia Voluntara pentru Sprijinirea Apararii Patriei i.e. Voluntary Association for the Support of the Motherland Defence.
Where are you located? Perhaps there's a forum member in your area with a camera who might assist with pictures.

SlimTim

·
Registered
356 Posts
What is interesting is I just Googled Romanian Navy and found out they have one with two Naval bases on the Black Sea. These could have been Navy trainers after all.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys , I will do my best to get pictures on here of this .
I live in Indianapolis , Ind. So maybe this is a navy trainer . I looked at
the map in the world atlas, Romania DOES border the black sea. I wasn,t
sure if Romania even had a Navy.

·
6,263 Posts
There are a few members in your town I think. I've sent email to one to see if he might help.

SlimTim

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
jth, please email me so I can contact you, I would love to help out with a pic for Slim Tim. I am in Indy, so drop me an email through my public profile. :)

·
6,263 Posts
Found this after going through 21 pages of 50 posts each on the old forums.

http://old.gunboards.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21233

Unfortunately, I hear the old forums will be deleted in a day or two.

Here's the text. The link to the pic is no longer valid. :(

SlimTim

I picked up my second single shot Cugir from my local Dunhams today. I've dug through maybe 25 of them in a couple different places and I've not seen one with the crest I am imaging. It appears much like the RPR crest seen on Romanian Mosins. The letters on the bottom are A V S A P and in the middle appear to be arrows, and a rifle crossing a propeller? Any one else seen on of these crests? Any idea on what it represents? My guess is its either a Romanian naitional symbol, or perhaps a shooting club/organization. FWIW, this rifle is dated 1955, has a matching bolt, and has a GECO (Genschow Co.) buttplate on the stock. Very nice for the $48 I gave for it. Thanks alot! Ken

See pic here http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=3473883&uid=1800003&members=1

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Timbo ,I sent you an e-mail ,if you call me I will know you got it!
If you didn,t post here & I will try again.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Timbo, for coming over & taking & posting these pics. I think they tured out good.I MUST get one of these cameras so I can do the same .

·
6,263 Posts
Very, very nice! THANK YOU Timbo for helping jth out with the pics! :D And thank you jth for allowing Timbo to take them and post them.

I had to check my CUGIRs out to make certain they didn't have this marking, neither did. I did see pics of another Romo trainer online that does have the same marking. Also madboy357 previously reported he had one. So why don't I have one? :confused::)

SlimTim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts