Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking over my 1903/14/27 this morning, I noticed a stamp I hadn't seen before. It's just ahead of the forward action screw on the bottom. The oval is faint, but the bottom of it appears to read "Roma".

I searched, but couldn't find any reference to a stamp like that.

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,070 Posts
Interesting! AFAIK Breda is in Milano, not in Roma?

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,908 Posts
A satellite facility for Breda?
Pat

·
Administrator
9,602 Posts
Breda Had a Facility in Rome ( look at BM59s Made by Breda for the Italian Gov't)

Can't read the rest of the stamp above the "Roma"...the rifle ( captured and/or acquired from Austria WW I, refurbished by Breda for "sale" to Greece in the 1920s ( hence the Breda disguise) The rifles could have been "checked over"
by the Centro Riparazioni Artigleria Esercito ROMA ( which Manufactured M91s in 1917-18), either during WW I or soon after; or the Breda factory in Rome could have done the checking over and "Refurbish/disguise" work. Breda was (and is still) a very Large Vertically integrated Engineering company, starting off with Locomotive construction in the 1860s, and expanding to Steel Mills, Ordnance Production (incl.Small arms, mostly MGs and MKs) and General engineering.

Doc AV

·
Gold Bullet Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting possibilities. However, let me complicate things. Perhaps, the stamp is from after it left Greek possesion. The gun also has a Nazi capture stamp on the pistol grip of the stock.

Additionally, the gun had an unrepaired duffel cut.

·
8,908 Posts
DocAV-
Thanks for providing the clarifying info, good stuff! This also helps fill in the many blanks on a depot-marked Y:1903/14 I have.

N White,
If you are willing to say, from which depot is the stamp? Is the rifle matching, or composed of mixed parts? If you're not comfortable replying here, a PM to me would be fine.
Thanks-
Pat

·
Gold Bullet Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My apologies for the terse replies and scant pictures.. My wife had the computer, and my phone was not cooperating as it should.

Now that I have the time and means to properly reply- The gun is a mismatch, or rather a force match. The stock is overstamped to match the gun, the bolt is a earlier cross proofed one, ground at the root and stamped to match, and the forward action screw has a cross. Everything else is a Breda star. The grind and renumber on the bolt has the same patina as the rest of it.

I found it in "as brought back" condition in a hole in the wall shop in NH a few years ago. Unrepaired duffel cut, cracks all through the action area of the stock, dings and gouges everywhere. Price was less than half what they were going for on Gunbroker, so I am pretty confident this one hasn't been monkeyed with. Even if it was, I certainly got my money's worth.

See pictures below. I can do more tomorrow, I have the day off, and the light will be better.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
My apologies for the terse replies and scant pictures.. My wife had the computer, and my phone was not cooperating as it should.

Now that I have the time and means to properly reply- The gun is a mismatch, or rather a force match. The stock is overstamped to match the gun, the bolt is a earlier cross proofed one, ground at the root and stamped to match, and the forward action screw has a cross. Everything else is a Breda star. The grind and renumber on the bolt has the same patina as the rest of it.

I found it in "as brought back" condition in a hole in the wall shop in NH a few years ago. Unrepaired duffel cut, cracks all through the action area of the stock, dings and gouges everywhere. Price was less than half what they were going for on Gunbroker, so I am pretty confident this one hasn't been monkeyed with. Even if it was, I certainly got my money's worth.

See pictures below. I can do more tomorrow, I have the day off, and the light will be better.
N White,

I have a M03/14/27 and with the exception of the German depot marking it is exactly as you describe. ROMA mark on the stock, stock number and force matched bolt in exactly the same places and manner and just like your's the rifle also even has an unrepaired duffle cut! If needed I cannot post some pictures as soon as I can.

·
8,908 Posts
Definitely! Ingolstadt 3, I think. Neat rifle, thanks for sharing!
Pat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts