Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Post pictures of your rolling block rifles and shotguns here.

I'll start of with a size comparison with some previously posted pictures, showing a #33 next to a standard m/1867 and an m/96. The #33 seen here is a full length stocked 8x58R Sauer.
The m/96, by the way, is fairly interesting in that it is a 1911 CG, all matching including the cleaning rod, and still sporting the original configuration sights. But now I'm getting off topic. On with the rollers!

Pettson

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
1,295 Posts
My big bore Husqvarna commercial rollers in 12.7x44 and 500/450 No. 1 Express 2 3/4".

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Here are some Carl Gustaf sportered rollers (pardon the military roller, it was a group shot). I have two Husqvarna rolling blocks, but they are project guns and aren't presentable just now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A nice couple: The smallest and the largest RB receivers made by Husqvarna

Top: A model 5 chambered for 500 3" BPE.

Bottom: A model 33 chambered for 9.3x57R/360.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Husky 45 90

This is a Husqvarna from Simpsons I rebuilt in Nov. 2007. Badger 32" barrel in 45/90 Win. 1 in 18 inch twist. Rust blued including the hammer, block, and trigger, Axtell long range hunting tang sight, all done by Richard Windsor.
I draw filed and polished the barrel and refinished the wood by removing the old finish and applying tung oil, there's still more work to be done on glass bedding the stock and adding the last bit of finish coats.
It shoots like a house on fire, lots of smoke and flames and very accurate. I like it alot! .... Roy

·
Registered
12 Posts
JK,

Yes it did, it was a 16 ga. Shotgun barrel gun with dual extractors I located on Simpson's Ltd. website. I had heard that these were heavier built receivers than the regular rolling blocks and it is thicker(I forget how much)than my Carl Gustaf roller. The gunsmith had to build up the extractors and re-machine them to work with the 45/90 case. It works very well.
The block has a "N" stamped on the left side, either for nickel steel, or, nitro, I've heard both. Manufacturing dates range from 1880's to 1940's according to various sources.....Roy

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
JK's schutzen roller

JK, thats one really fine reworked rolling block. Did you do the woodwork yourself? Have been giving some thought about swapping out the forend on mine and grafting on a new one. My two problems would be the small screw on the outer end of the forend and the cross screw with escuctions on the rear of the forend. How did you go about solving these problems. I'd be very interested in seeing or hearing about how you went solving these tow problems. Thanks, Frank

·
Registered
12 Posts
Frank, sorry, but the forearm came just the way you see it. All work by myself consisted of stripping the old finish with a single edged razor blade, steaming out the dents, sanding the surface with 220 grit sandpaper on a flat block, then oooo steel wool followed with many coats of rubbed tung oil finish. The forearm barrel lug was transfered from the old barrel to the Badger barrel by the gunsmith. This is the standard configuration for Husqvarna shotguns I suppose.....Roy

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Roy, that is one beautiful rolling block. You really made her shine with the new wood. How does she shoot??. Thanks for sharing her with us. Regards,Frank

·
Registered
12 Posts
Frank,
Shoots real good, When I was using 405 grn Remington copper jackets to break in the barrel it could put them almost in the same hole at 100 yrds. When I see them in the spotting scope the next 2 or 3 are usually wide til I settle back down!
When switching to the 405 grn Govt cast lead the groups open up to 4 or 5 inches with an occasionial flyer, probably due to my casting ability. It has potential!.....Roy

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
From the pics posted it would seem that we here in the U.S. are not getting rolling blocks like that shown by our northern friends. Really like the smalled rollers with the rounded sides. Those are the one I believe that are in the smaller calibers. Would make up into a nice woods rifle in the 9.3x47R/360. Regards,Frank

·
Registered
644 Posts
From the pics posted it would seem that we here in the U.S. are not getting rolling blocks like that shown by our northern friends. Really like the smalled rollers with the rounded sides. Those are the one I believe that are in the smaller calibers. Would make up into a nice woods rifle in the 9.3x47R/360. Regards,Frank
I have a real nice Model 33 in 9.5x47R (a bottlenecked German target cartridge) that has adjustable Norsk sights a straight grip and cheekpiece. Have not had it in the woods yet, but it sure handles nice!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And another #33 found it's way home... Seems like they're falling in my lap these days... :)

#4 in the line-up is another full stock, but with a barrel slightly shorter than normal. Caliber is 9,3x57R. Tried it already, and as typical of this model it seems to shoot very well.

Soory about the pictures. I was a bit short for time whan I took them, trying out a borrowed and very heavy macro objective on a wobbly tripod normally used to sit the photo cell unit of the chronograph on...

Pettson

1 - 20 of 75 Posts