Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i need details of dimensions, markings and history of the rolling block model 1867/89 cadet, kal. 8x58 rd. i know these rolling block haven't bayonet lug, are shorter.In swedish language it is named "skolskjutningsgevar" . The Military Rifle of World refer of a Model 1867/89 Cadet with overlenght of 43.7 inches.I find this model in website angelfire, but the pictures don't open.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I personaly dont understand why they are called "cadet" model. Dont think they ever reached any sort of military use. Know some swedish collectors that holds this model in their collections. Not that often seen and for some reason low interest for them in Sweden. Majority of Swedish collectors wants military stuff. I have a book printed 1897, "Handbok vid skolungdomens militäröfningar" that shortly describes this rifle as "De till läroverken utlämnade förkortade gevären skilja sig från 8 mm. m/1867-89 däruti, att de sakna bajonettklack samt väga 3,7 kg, då 8 mm. gevär m/1867-89 väger 4 kg" (the shortened rifle, given out to secondary grammar school, distinguish from m/1867-89 that they lack bayonet lug and weights 3,7 kg compared to m/1867-89 that weights 4 kg).
So , "skolskjutningsgevär" fits as a name for this model. ;)
Regards,
ARILAR:)

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Often are things we dont recognize refered to be an art of Bubba. Sometimes that is correct but sometimes not. Regarding skolskjutningsgevär m/1867-89 exist purpose-made rifles that differ if you just shortens a regular m/1867-89. Dont recall exactly details but if I remember correct it differs regarding finger-grooves and maybe placement of the bands. I was, not so long ago, offered a shortened m/1867-89 told to be a skolskjutningsgevär. Because I wasnt sure if a shortened (not purpose-made) skolskjutningsgevär m/1867-89 was a later bubbification or not I passed on this one.
I will try to locate a purpose-made skolskjutningsgevär and post details.
Regards,

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Some more info regarding school rifle m/1867-89

Rifle total length 111,5 cm. "Visible" barrel length 70,3 cm and barrel length otherwise 74 cm (see, dont know nomenclature). Will post pics later.
Regards,
ARILAR :)

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Two "variations"

This pics comes from a regular swedish contributor to this forum.

First a school rifle that I call purpose-made. See the locations of the bands. This is the model I claim is for sure put together during the period is was used.

Next a shortened m/1867-89 that may be of a later put together date. Here to see another position of the bands, or maybe shorter all over?

I doubt marks on the school rifle differs from those on a full size m/1867-89.

Regards,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank, Mr. Arilar. This is a very great and speed work. Unfortunatly, my last business is a shortned rifle ( Remington action ). It is same of 2nd picture, but I am also owned of a 1867/89 swedish and a 1867/96 danish rifle. best regards, Bunter hund.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Marks on schoolrifle!!

Maybe not a distinct mark but.......from advanced collectors in Sweden now reports that the "purpose-made" schoolrifles all were produced 1893 and therefore has the "93" mark for year on the usual place (right side, base of barrel if I recall right). Because of that a suggestion that they should be called schoolrifle m/1867-89-93.....
Interesting information that comes from very wellknown advanced Swedish collectors even if I dont know the original source. I will hang on to this until a schoolrifle shows up with another year of production than 1893.....
Regards,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
this is very interesting. Is it possible that the inspector markings on the top of the barrels are of the same inspector? only Carl Gustav factory has produced school rifle? and using action of all 3 factories ( remington,carl gustav,husquarna )?

best regards, bunter hund.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.