Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leaving Wednesday Morning on a road trip with my Dad, mom, and wife to New Orleans to visit the National WW2 Museum to celebrate the 70th Anniversery of the D-Day Invasion. Dad was with the 82nd and jumped on Sainte Mère Eglise, and recieved a purple heart for wounds recieved from a German gernade on D-Day plus 2.

After we leave the Big Easy on Saturday the next stop is Mobile to visit the BB-60, The USS Alabama, his uncle (Andrew Miller) served on the Alabama from it's commissioning 1942-1946.

After that we are going to Fort Mitchell National Cemetery in Seale, Alabama to visit the Memorial to the HMT Rohna which was sunk in the Mediterian in November, 1943 claiming the life of 1,015 US Army soliders including another of his uncles ( T/5 Harold R.Hamilton).

Then it's off to Charleston S.C. so the wives can do some shoping while my Dad and I visit Patriots Point to tour of CV10, The USS Yorktown and DD724, the USS Laffey, which provided fire support for US troops during the Normandy Campagian.

The wife and I figured this was the least we could do for this 88 year old WW2 and Korean Veteran.

This is a pic of Dad taken 2 years ago @ WPAFB during the B-25 fly-in for the 70th Anniversery of the Doolittle Raid.

·
Silver Bullet member
5,574 Posts
G*d bless him and all his Band of Brothers.

Wish him well for mrs tac and me.

We had the honour and privilege of meeting the 95-year-old father of a fellow SIG-ist a couple of weeks ago. He and his son stopped off the same day that they arrove here in yUK to have supper with us in our local pub. He had been an air-gunner on B17s that flew out of one of the many 8th AAF bases here in East Anglia, and was over for the 70th anniversary. His wife had been an English gal from nearby Norwich.

I'm sure that they won't mind me posting a hanger to your thread - my respect for this gentleman and your father and all like him exceeds my powers of description.

tac

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,406 Posts
Sounds like a great trip - don't know if time would have permitted, but not far to the east of the USS Alabama is the Naval Air Museum at Pensacola, and it is well worth a visit.

Great that your Dad is still with us and able to make the trip. All honor to him and his comrades.

·
Administrator
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like a great trip - don't know if time would have permitted, but not far to the east of the USS Alabama is the Naval Air Museum at Pensacola, and it is well worth a visit.

Great that your Dad is still with us and able to make the trip. All honor to him and his comrades.
We have talked about it and time permitting we will visit Pensacola

·
Administrator
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well we are back home, had to cut the trip short after our stop in Mobile, the heat and humidity was to much for Pops so we came back Sunday and will finish our vacation @ the Marina.
Here are a couple of pic's of him @ the WW2 Museum, will post more after we finish our vacation.

Dad autographing a helmet of a WW2 reanactor

Talking shop with some WW2 reanactor's

Dad at the Ceramony to present 17 WW2 Vets with the French Legion of Honour by the French Consulate General Jean-Claude Brunet

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,406 Posts
Well, sorry you didn't get to complete the plan, but better to quit instead of push until somebody is sick.

Heck of a cabbage patch - one war was plenty for me, the idea of three doesn't appeal. All honor to him.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
god bless your dad and all the others that did so much for this country and the world. never to be none like them again. may god bless you and your family also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts