Gunboards Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
I’ll play devils advocate. I took a chance and shot mine. After researching on here and weighed the pros and cons. My example is far from a museum piece. The rifle is average, scope is very nice but has some mild “flecks” in the glass. Lock up is very solid, and I was curious about if the reticle would center on point of impact. I fired about 25 rounds of light handloads to limit chance of damage. Point of Aim matched impact at 50 yards nicely. Group opened up at 100 yds. Still held all rounds on a pie plate bullseye. Not impressed with practical accuracy, but I think the pitted bore and worn rifling in the last 6 inches of barrel had more to do due with the bad grouping than did the scope. I was lucky and not a “fleck” moved. And I scratched my curiosity of shooting a dream gun. I bought this Type 97 to enjoy. I shot it, no issues. I will probably never shoot it again. My favorite 6.5 to shoot is my crisp Jinsen Type 38. I’ll stick to other Arisaka for range time. Now the T-97 can live safely looking beautiful on my collection rack.
Not saying what you should do one way or another. But wanted to bring up the option that shooting these old rifles is possible. It’s not an automatic “it will be ruined” if you fire a live round. Know your risks and weigh what you’d like to do with your property. That said, I wouldn’t want to shoot a whole match with an original scope that hadn’t had an expert get in there and secure the seals etc. Best of luck with whatever you decide!

·
Silver Bullet member
48,511 Posts
Completing dreams most satisfying..Great interesting results..keep your target for next owner so he’s clue to your research!

·
Registered
594 Posts
how many times do you guys need to be told!!!!!!!!! yah I know its your gun, I know your entitled, you have a top dollar collectible

step back all of you! look at all the damaged G/K 43 rifles and parts rifles you know why they are so many parts rifles, it is because the "I can shoot my rifle" crowd is destroying them in leaps and bounds

all for the sake of being cool and copying some other loser on this board

if I owned one of those rifles, I would be telling everyone to shoot them, because the more you fools and those fools giving advise don't realize, everytime you pull the trigger, the value of my unfired rifles and pistols just keeps going up and up

·
Gold Bullet Member
561 Posts
I believe you have quite a bit to learn about Japanese military weapons- At an Alabama shoot a few years ago Roy Boone brought a fixture for test firing the Japanese rifles-Kept using a type 99 rifle and using heavier loads-Eventually something gave-Not the action,just blew the barrel out of the receiver- In a 1968 American Rifleman is an article of an individual who brought a Japanese rifle into a gunsmith and wanted to know if he could do something about the recoil-Said he had rechambered it to 30-06-Gunsmith said he couldn't have rechambered it as it was a Type 38 in Cal. 6.5 and the pilot on the chambering reamer for 30-06 would not have entered the barrel- Person said he had that trouble and ground the pilot
off-The gunsmith sent the rifle to the NRA and they test fired it- Headspace was still perfect
You may hear about some of the German junk blowing up but I don't believe you hear the same about the Japanese,even the last ditch weapons

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Jim, I kinda recall hearing about that hot load test that Roy did at the Blevins. I would love to learn details on the loading steps that Roy took until the barrel thread failure. Was it ever reported on Banzai ? and if so would be great to know which issue it was written up on.

P.S. : Didya get my Hula Girls BD card ?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
how many times do you guys need to be told!!!!!!!!! yah I know its your gun, I know your entitled, you have a top dollar collectible

step back all of you! look at all the damaged G/K 43 rifles and parts rifles you know why they are so many parts rifles, it is because the "I can shoot my rifle" crowd is destroying them in leaps and bounds

all for the sake of being cool and copying some other loser on this board

if I owned one of those rifles, I would be telling everyone to shoot them, because the more you fools and those fools giving advise don't realize, everytime you pull the trigger, the value of my unfired rifles and pistols just keeps going up and up
Thanks for the friendly advice.

·
Gold Bullet Member
561 Posts
Hi Okiedoki
Got your card and I thank you profusely -I will try and locate the Banzai issue and let you-In the meantime you could call Roy and talk to him about it-He knows a lot more about it than I do-Take care my Friend-Jim

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
leave it alone, it served it's time in hell! don't send it back. enjoy it and thanks for sharing it with us.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts