Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just looking for thoughts on the attached pics of a ring about 2-3 inches from the muzzle on a new to me Mossburg 44us .22. Is this indeed a ringed barrel such as what would be caused by a quid round or other blocking object or it this more or a manufacturing defect? Hopefully the pics are clear enough and it might help to zoom in. My local smith took a look and told me not to worry about it... being that's its a .22 and somewhat of a bull barrel safety shouldn't be much of a problem and that only accuracy might be affected. I just wanted some other opinions - I value my smith's opinion but find the different thoughts on this board to always be more of a learning opportunity for me.

Also - I know only shooting it will tell but after looking at the pics should I anticipate that it's bad enough to affect accuracy?

Thanks!

Finger Gesture Thumb Circle Food
Finger Thumb Nail Circle Eyelash

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
in comparison to other 22's with ringed barrels, this looks fairly minor in appearance. i have owned and shot a few with ringed barrels; some look much worse than this. i don't think it will affect accuracy very much at all, if any.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
If the ring was at the muzzle then it would be cause for concern. But seeing the actual location I wouldn't concern myself. Winchester 52's used to get what they call a shadow ring right at the beginning of the chamber. This was from the ground glass and fired primer residue in Winchester target ammo. My shadow ring went all the way around the chamber. Had the barrel set back and rechambered. Shot great after that. Frank

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I also have handled many .22's from various makers that had their barrels ringed, some way worse than that 44US. A few had several rings and all shot very well in spite of what seemed to be a forelone hope situation. One memorable example, a new Browning Grade 3 auto, had six bulges in it's beautiful blued barrel. The owner said his "young son had done it and how soon can you fix it?" Turned out that he and his buddies were drunked up and shooting at fish with the barrel in the water. It was still very accurate.
But you don't know how yours will act without trying it. However, know this. Those rifles will usually make one ragged hole groups with their preferred ammo.
If your OCD won't let you bear the ring, the next guy will be happy to beat the price waaaayy down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.