Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Id like to get some rings for my bayonets to make them tighter around the barrel. what can i use? maybe a rubber or brass ring? what can i use and where can i find them? I was thinking about going to the hardware store and looking at different o rings maybe for faucets. unless theres a better way?

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
If you have the correct bayonet for the rifle you do not need rings. Otherwise wrap the muzzle end of the barrel with masking tape. It will do no harm to either the rifle or the bayonet.
Dan
This will work, in the short term, however my recommendation would be to remove the tape as soon as possible after you are done.
High tack masking tape is a bear to get off after it has been on something for weeks/months/years.
The paper part degrades but the adhesive seems to be eternal, it has also been known to discolor some materials, unsure about blueing or phosphate finishes but who wants to try.
If this is just for display purposes then put it on, do the show and get it off.

A rubber o ring or, more likely some synthetic polymer ring, these days, might provide enough tension between the ring on the bayonet and the stop on the barrel but that also should be removed ASAP.
Moisture will collect under the ring and will discolor the blueing or, possibly, rust.
This method might also make the bayonet very difficult to latch.

I'm curious though, why is this a concern?

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I've got a bayonet that had tape on the hilt, even after all the goo was cleaned off the patina has tape shadows in it. If you used two pieces of tape to make a ring, sticky sides in it would not adhere to either rifle or bayonet. That might be best.
Really though, unless you are a reenactor it should not matter if the bayonet is loose.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just dont lake the bayonet wobbling around lol. Thanks for all ur info. If i do decide to do it i might try using a two piece brass ring on the 2 or 3 bayonets that r loose. Since tape will leave the residue and rubber trap moisture. I was hoping there was like a readily available product i could buy. Maybe not specifically for bayonets but sonething i didnt have to do a lot of work to alter. I like them to be nice and tight. They could potentially wear on the metal from wobbling around or pop off when i shoot possibly tho

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Copper pipe is a good idea i never thought if that. Its soft, thin, and comes in a variety of sizes.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Loctite can sometimes be used to remove excess clearance on mechanical parts, depending on the application. It's not just a thread locking product. If you are bothered about excess clearance, in this example on a muzzle ring of a bayonet, you could try degreasing the inside surface of the muzzle ring and then applying a thin layer of loctite, to the inside surface of the muzzle ring, and allowing to dry. It may work depending on how much clearance you wish to remove and how many times you wish to remove the bayonet.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
What kind of rifle/bayonet combo?
Real or reproductions?
Why are you shooting with the bayonet attached? If only to see the change in POI? Some sort of reenactment?

If this is about a static display with occasional handling, then a simple shim will suffice.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
64,031 Posts
What kind of rifle/bayonet combo?
Real or reproductions?
Why are you shooting with the bayonet attached? If only to see the change in POI?

or doing bayonet drills?

any thing to add the the rifle (tape, etc ) will eventually leave a mark,

if it absolutely positively has to be tight, then you could clean the inside of the ring on the bayonet, and add a bead of solder on one of 2 sections inside the ring, then file or shape them to tighten it up,

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
or doing bayonet drills?

any thing to add the the rifle (tape, etc ) will eventually leave a mark,

if it absolutely positively has to be tight, then you could clean the inside of the ring on the bayonet, and add a bead of solder on one of 2 sections inside the ring, then file or shape them to tighten it up,
Just about anything said will work to some extent or another. Problem is none of us contributing know WTH we’re dealing with. We all picture something different in our minds. We’re all guessing.
This could turn out to be something a slight squeeze and a dab of grease could remedy without any loss in value, or something that’s best left untouched forever and a day.
We don’t know….yet.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Like I stated earlier, If you have the correct bayonet for the rifle it won't be loose. Yes pictures would help get a more accurate answer otherwise we're just guessing.
Dan

·
Registered
394 Posts
How much looseness is there ? Less or greater than 1mm?

Teflon tape is the only non-sticky material that comes into my mind.

A combination of teflon & very thin cardboard (also wrapped in teflon) should do it, for a fix bayonets and leave it on approach.

If you want to do mutiple fix/remove bayonet steps, then it may not work as well.

Regards,
JMB

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats a good idea i could wrap the barrel tight with something and then just tape the wrapped material. The friction will hold it on and the tape will keep it from falling off. And no tape residues or anything permanent. I cant believe i never thought about that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts