Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stumbled into, and then acquired for reasons I haven't figured out yet, a large collection of cartridges.All were thrown into cigar boxes, some labeled, some not. The individual had collected cartridges since the 60's
For starters, I separated the rim fires,pin fires and like, the American sporting rounds, Military rounds, unknowns etc...
The labeled rounds sometimes don't look much like the pictures in Cartridges of the World and some look nothing like anything pictured,so I figured I'd put them up here. I know my pictures aren't great but here are some of the rimfires, pinfires and such.Any Id help or info would be appreciated.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,815 Posts
The "true oddball" is a Maynard. The "ice cream cone" is a Burnside. The three bottle-necked rounds together appear to be .41 Swiss. Measurements would be a big help.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
I did a little bit of this when I was young and poor. I dont remember 1/2 of what I got. The real trick is how to display the stuff. They make wall hangar display cases. The trick is dealing with all the sizes, 5mm and 22 rim fire on up. That is stepping up in size and where to draw the line and what to do when a display is full or all you got is 1/4 of the slots filled. My stuff is tucked away in cigar boxes (or box) and small tins. Ohter ideas I have seen are blocks drill out. Also home made displays that look like bleachers with ammo sitting. I think DIY display is probably the best way.

I need to photograph my brass shot shells. Meanwhile, here are Maynard, pinfire, swiss and rimfire examples. The old rimfire are very common. Common that is unless you want fresh ammo to shoot.

MAYNARD

PINFIRE

SWISS 11MM

MISC RIMFIRE

Accumulation is easy, making a nice series of display is the trick.

I guess you know about ammo boards. Factory display boards. I consider those the ultimate ammo collectable. Sadly the budget would never allow, not even now.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses gentlemen. I have been so busy over the last three days that I haven't had time to pick through the rest or give it much attention. I never knew I would be so busy in retirment. For a "serious" carttridge collector though, this individual sure had a lot of mundane cartridges in with the collectable stuff. I could fill a couple boxes with .22s, 30-30s and Rem-UMC 8mm, 270, & 3006. For the record, I am not a cartridge collector per say, My brother has a very large collection and I grabbed it primarily thinking of him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.