Gunboards Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to locate photos of Paraguayan and Bolivian soldiers from the Gran Chaco War armed with Mauser rifles. Does anyone know of a source or can provide photos/links?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jim - do you know his name?

·
Registered
727 Posts
I will look at home tonight...I may still have it. In the late 1950s or very early 1960s, GUNS magazine used the photos to illustrate a story titled Guns In The Green Hell Of The Chaco (or something similar).

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks so much

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,082 Posts
There are also a few more pictures of Bolivian soldiers with Mausers in Ball's MMROTW on pages 59-60. One of a foot patrol armed with Czech Vz. 24s and a Steyr MP34, another of a mounted patrol with Vz. 24s.

There are also photos of Paraguayan soldiers on pages 275-279, armed with German-made M1895s, Spanish-made M1927s, and Czech-made Vz. 12/33s and Vz. 23s.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rogue - thanks for the reminder. I'll email Bob.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,597 Posts
Speaking about the Chco War, I've got a submachine gun 9mm, ZK-383 made in Czechoslovakia used by the Bolivian Army in that war, pics are not so good, sorry for that...

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool! I didn't know they used them. Many thanks.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,597 Posts
Hi ADCC, I got my ZK-383 at the Servicio de Material de Guerra, Cuartel Barbones in Lima in 1972=

·
Registered
696 Posts
Lucky you Raul. This isn't mine but belongs to an institution's collection to which I have permanent authorized access and use but no free pass to take them home :cry: . In fact last time they caught me sneaking out a little ZB-30 under my Jacket (Protruding barrel and bipod gave me out) and had to clean 10 old guns as "punishment". This one is stored along with a Steyr Solothurn SMG that apparently had the same origin.

Funny but noisy little bugger, built like a train with that fancy octagonal receiver. Maybe a tad heavy to carry around, but probably very useful for short-range brush fighting and ambushes if equipped with a magazine vest and a assistant gunner to carry extra ammo load, or for close quarter combat.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,082 Posts
Ah, yes... the ZK-383. The world's only crew-served SMG, complete with quick-change barrel, bipod, and rear sight adjustable to 800 meters. :laugh:

(I don't think the designers understood the concept of a submachine gun. Or the limitations of the 9mm cartridge.)

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
Very interesting thread!

Post-WWII, in 1948-1949, the Bolivian Carabineros purchased 250 CZ 247 9mm submachine guns. Apparently these were similarly marked with the escudo de armas/ Coat of arms. The Czech CZ 247 was odd insofar as it could be rotated in the stock so that the magazine loaded in from the left side like a British Sten gun... Or that ZK-393 for that matter, so a lower prone could be adopted by the user/firer, or the magazine and receiver could be rotated so that the magazine hang down like a more conventional or typical SMG.

A colleague who has been to Paraguay has told me about folks who collect stuff from the Chaco War... I don't know if they have any pictures. I seem to recall that parades by veterans used to happen with some regularity. There may be pictures of that. Also, Bolivia had what, a couple Vickers tanks or something like that, yes? Export versions of the BAR?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Ah, yes... the ZK-383. The world's only crew-served SMG, complete with quick-change barrel, bipod, and rear sight adjustable to 800 meters. :laugh:

(I don't think the designers understood the concept of a submachine gun. Or the limitations of the 9mm cartridge.)
I think the Hungarians or somebody made a similar type lmg/smg in 9mm with bipod and long distance sights. Also I once saw an interview with a German vet talking about the MP40, and he said they used them like light machine guns. That comment sort of appalled me at the time, but I can easily see any smg used for suppressing fire.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.