Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, does anyone know of a relatively simple way of cleaning the reticle without bending the wires - I'm assuming everyone will say send it in but wanted to see if anyone tried something that worked

Let me know

·
Banned
18,286 Posts
A ladies makeup brush maybe?
They come in hundreds of widths thicknesses & lengths. Places like "Target" sell them individually.

Product Brush Material property Personal care Cleanliness

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Well, just lost a long note on the above but here goes again..
A gentle puff of canned air can work but be careful and do it at a distance of at least a foot or two. the farther the better...
A small lens blower is also good.
Get a small sable hair art brush and trim off most of the bristles down to two or three bristles
Run it along the stadia (X hair) and the post carefully.
I also buy the ladies make up brushes off Aliexpress and trim them to the job. They are about 1/10 the price of art stores.
I have been doing this for 40 years and I still break the odd stadia/cross hair.
Some wire crystallized over the years and if that is the case you have to replace it. No matter what you do it will break from either touching it or even vibration. I have never been able to find out what type of wire it was but it looks like sugar crystals under the digital microscope.
The wire normally ranges from .001 to .0004 so just be careful.
The best stuff for the super fine stadia is spider silk and nail polish to hold it.
The old optical manuals recommended spider silk and ear wax to hold it.😝
Just take it easy and you will be OK
You will probably do more damage taking it out and putting it back in.
If it an oily substance on the stadia you are best to use MEK, Xylene, toluene or some fast drying volatile solvent.
Hope this helps...

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, just lost a long note on the above but here goes again..
A gentle puff of canned air can work but be careful and do it at a distance of at least a foot or two. the farther the better...
A small lens blower is also good.
Get a small sable hair art brush and trim off most of the bristles down to two or three bristles
Run it along the stadia (X hair) and the post carefully.
I also buy the ladies make up brushes off Aliexpress and trim them to the job. They are about 1/10 the price of art stores.
I have been doing this for 40 years and I still break the odd stadia/cross hair.
Some wire crystallized over the years and if that is the case you have to replace it. No matter what you do it will break from either touching it or even vibration. I have never been able to find out what type of wire it was but it looks like sugar crystals under the digital microscope.
The wire normally ranges from .001 to .0004 so just be careful.
The best stuff for the super fine stadia is spider silk and nail polish to hold it.
The old optical manuals recommended spider silk and ear wax to hold it.😝
Just take it easy and you will be OK
You will probably do more damage taking it out and putting it back in.
If it an oily substance on the stadia you are best to use MEK, Xylene, toluene or some fast drying volatile solvent.
Hope this helps...
Very helpful - thank you

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Some of the members of the American Single Shot Rifle association may have scope wire from which you could use to make new stadia wires or repair them. S Don't remember if you have to be a member to post on that forum. While the wire is used on the long internal scopes pretty sure it can be used on our more modern scopes. Iron Sight is one such place to send your scope for repairs. They do have a list of scopes that they will work on. Frank

·
Platinum Bullet Member
64,031 Posts
Some of the members of the American Single Shot Rifle association may have scope wire from which you could use to make new stadia wires or repair them. S Don't remember if you have to be a member to post on that forum. While the wire is used on the long internal scopes pretty sure it can be used on our more modern scopes. Iron Sight is one such place to send your scope for repairs. They do have a list of scopes that they will work on. Frank
I cannot remember where we found it , but you can buy wire to fix the old long tube scopes (Unertl, Lyman, etc)

I have some at the shop, and a scope my brother took apart, or tried to, to fix the reticle,

he is waiting for me to put it back together,, like always,

I'm thinking it will get sent out to be reassembled,

·
Banned
18,286 Posts
If you want an "air puffer bulb" check out the local pharmacy! They are sold as "nasal aspirators", but they can also blow! I keep one in my camera bag.
The original idea is to squeeze & insert in a baby's nostril to suck our mucus, but you can also use one as a puffer by compressing it to exhale air.
Just dont get cheap & use the same one for both purposes!
:sick:

Head Human body Cap Personal protective equipment Electric blue

1 - 11 of 11 Posts