Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a ride in a NJ Air Guard tanker out to Fort Bliss and back to visit one of my workers going to Iraq. Absolutely great experience but only 4 windows in the fuselage. Refueled an AWACs on the way down and a B-1 on the way back. The Jersey Guard is sending 3000 troops over next month. Thank God I retired in 03. But I got lots of buddies going over who stayed in. The first picture is a unit practicing clearing a building with OPFOR.

TC

·
Registered
520 Posts

Lots of fun riding around the neighborhood. The 2x my guard unit deployed to Spain and we rode the 135s roundtrip was not fun, windows or no windows....

·
Gold Bullet member
3,535 Posts
My Scoutmaster back in the day was a 'boomer on an 135, he managed to get our entire troop on board once, way back in the 80s, before everything got so law-suity. They did 4 tanks, all on F-16s, and then the pilot decided to try this neat new manuever he had heard about.....the negative-G pushover. Even just 5 seconds of zero G was enough to guarantee a plane-load of kids with permanent "COOOOOL!!!" faces!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not even the boomer layed down in the back the plane was full of business types who never saw the red web jump seats before. It was a big adventure to them just another ride for me. Flew on lots of C-130s and C141s nothing new. I was happy to see my buds before they went to the sandbox. Anyone else with mixed feelings, glad I'm out and don't have to go but sad I'm not going with my old platoon at the same time. But they gave up the M1s for Humvees. I was a tanker to the core a HumVee doesn't cut it.

TC

·
Registered
490 Posts
WOW!!!

That looks like an awesome experience!!

Thanks for the pics!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts