Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I was looking at an ex-sniper at a shop today. It was a 1943 Izhevsk ex-PU. The stock had a repair for the scope cutout. Also, the floorplate was stamped matching with prefix and did not appear to have been ground and renumbered. The bolt matched, naturally, and most small parts were Izhevsk marked. This made me wonder if these were refurbed seperate from most infantry rifles when they were de-snipered, as they often are in ex-sniper stocks. Any thoughts?
--Ken

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Be aware that it was not uncommon for Mosin Nagant stocks to break and thus be repaired in the same area that the inletting was done for the PU bases. I've seen a lot of the repaired in that area.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Agreed, a repair in that area is not only to patch a scope cutout, but the majority of stocks I've seen repaired like that are on ex-snipers.
Case in point....This stock has a repair splice but the splice is too short to be for a PU inlet repair. Note the location of the end of the splice to the wall of the receiver.

A better example of a possible PU inlet repair splice.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,399 Posts
Case in point....This stock has a repair splice but the splice is too short to be for a PU inlet repair. Note the location of the end of the splice to the wall of the receiver.

A better example of a possible PU inlet repair splice.

I bought a 1947 ex-PU a while back with a repair like the second one...

·
Premium Member
105,519 Posts
That is a weak part of the stock. I think most of these repairs aren't done to rifles with PU bases. There have been a couple that have shown up with repairs that were clearly done to the cut out area of a PU base.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
tw1kell,,,awhile back i posted some questions about an ex sniper that i belived to be en ex pem because of the location of the holes in the side..im sad to say i didnt have the cash or i would have bought it for a future project....id bet ill never see one again..or at least not when im in a position to buy...and i too have seen alot of reapairs in the wood in the same area as those shown above..good pics showing the difference in the types of repairs

·
Registered
348 Posts
Refurb'd Snipers

Here are a couple pix of the '44 Iz. ex-PU I acquired recently - hadn't seen a dowel reinforced in-fill wood piece like this before. Really beautiful workmanship. Note the small filler piece, under main repair wood block, that fills elevation screw lug relief cut. In process of "re-snipering" this one.
FWIW: I've seen quite a few 91/30 stock repairs in same area, but most have been too short/shallow to be ex-sniper rebuilds. Was very glad to have found this one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.