Gunboards Forums banner

Rework markings mystery?

793 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Frosty 
#1 ·
I have attached some examples of markings on a reworked K98K that has had the original markings scrubbed and new serial numbers and (inspectors stamps?) added. The mystery marking looks like four diamonds around a point, with one slightly larger than the other three. The larger example in the photo is all that is on the left side of the receiver for ID except for two proof marks, P and R in small blocks. The top of the marking is incomplete in the first example. The smaller examples show up about 1/8" in size on the follower, recoil lug, underside of the barrel and barrel bands. It has been suggested that this is a Spanish rework M43 but several things don't line up.

Any help appreciated
Photograph Black Font Automotive tire Handwriting

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Yes, Spanish M44. Some of these with minimal markings were offered for commercial sale.

Military Spanish M44
Wood Wood stain Gas Varnish Hardwood

#10 ·
A photo of the bolt arm will show if it was bent before or after the s/n was stamped. If after, the digits will be stretched.

#11 · (Edited)
The curved/bent ("turned down") bolt units are exclusively export, and made well after WW2. Ditto the lack of the Spanish crest, dates, and military internal inspector marks in detail. Some went to the former Moroccan protectorate, many wound up for commercial sale in Switzerland and at U.S. PX's across western Europe. A friend of mine had one he acquired in Argentine, albeit how it got there, I have no idea. He had purchased 7.65 ammo for it, and wondered why it was so inaccurate. And why the fired brass "looked funny". I was, as marked, 7.92x57, chambered for the .323" bulleted German, Spanish, etc., etc., service cartridge of that period.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.