Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
6,188 Posts
When I was a kid, friends of my parents bought and old farm in Connecticut . There was a large front porch , raised above the ground and they said it was rummored that 2 hessian soldiers were buried under the porch. Back then, in the winter, the ground could be frozen so hard , you couldn't dig a grave. So they either buried them in the basement ,[dirt floors], or under the porch . We slept there and I kept waiting to see the ghost come down the hallway like in the movies.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Interesting story. Although after nearly 2 years, more info should be floating around about this event.

If the men were regulars in the continental army, then uniform buttons would most likely read USA.

Civilian Militia buttons would probably be plain.

Also strange that no weapons were found on them.....not even a pocket knife or dirk?

·
Registered
9,245 Posts
"First remains"? No major actions in Connecticutt but in 1781 Benedict Arnold was conducting raids, and there were returning soldiers, militiamen. Found under a house? Wonder if someone was trying to cover up something?

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,355 Posts
I read the article and its a very interesting story. I think disease could have been the killer of these four soldiers.
Commonest cause of death for servicemen at the time (and later - at least through the Spanish-American War). So the odds are on that suggestion, absent indications of combat injury (say broken bones from a British .75 passing through, or cut-marks consistent with a saber or bayonet injury), being correct.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts