Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new Daniel Craig(Current James Bond) Defiance is an excellent Film. I saw it today. Based on the Tru Story of 4 Brother's in Bela-Russia starting in July, 1941 during the German Invasion of Russia. Who started an all Russian Jew Partasian Band and Fought the Russian's for over 2 Year's. I was impressed with The Girl(Mia Wasikowska) who played Chaya who loved Asael one of his younger Brother's, she was carrying a Mosin-Nagant M-91/30 and did a fairly good Job of Firing it,(considering how much of a Kick it gave me on the Range) for a small frame Girl. Pretty and Blonde she was my favorite of the Film. I was sad that they beat the Captured young German SS Trooper to Death.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,153 Posts
The new Daniel Craig(Current James Bond) Defiance is an excellent Film. I saw it today. Based on the Tru Story of 4 Brother's in Bela-Russia starting in July, 1941 during the German Invasion of Russia. Who started an all Russian Jew Partasian Band and Fought the Russian's for over 2 Year's. I was impressed with The Girl(Mia Wasikowska) who played Chaya who loved Asael one of his younger Brother's, she was carrying a Mosin-Nagant M-91/30 and did a fairly good Job of Firing it,(considering how much of a Kick it gave me on the Range) for a small frame Girl. Pretty and Blonde she was my favorite of the Film. I was sad that they beat the Captured young German SS Trooper to Death.
Thanks for the review, but I can't imagine live rounds being allowed anywhere near that set. Blanks all around.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,104 Posts
We got Haji copies of it out here a couple weeks back. I liked the scenes showing the interaction between the Jewish Partisans and the former Red Army ones.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Also nice Stuka's and a PZ.KP.FW. IV Tank.
They've built a few of these from Sherman Tanks by actually cutting away the entire upper body and building a fiberglass replica of the Panzer body and turret. The treads and wheels of this model of Panzer are similar in appearance to the Sherman's suspension system.
These were used in Enemy at the Gates, first time I'd heard of this modification.

Some real Panzers were found in a restorable condition several years back, don't know if there are any that are road worthy yet though.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,613 Posts
Neither the PzKpfw III or IV has a suspension and road wheel arrangement that looks much like a Sherman's IMO. Just as a T-34's doesn't look much like a Tiger's (see KELLY'S HEROS for a T-34 tricked out as a Tiger I).w

·
Banned
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The reason the scene with the People beating the SS Trooper to Death bothered me was because he Was Waffen SS, not Algermine SS, nor did he fit the classic mold, of a Superman in Black with Silver Trim, just looked like a Scared Kid to me in the same Age Group of my Uncle who went down on the U.S.S. Indianapolis.:(

·
Registered
150 Posts
The reason the scene with the People beating the SS Trooper to Death bothered me was because he Was Waffen SS, not Algermine SS, nor did he fit the classic mold, of a Superman in Black with Silver Trim, just looked like a Scared Kid to me in the same Age Group of my Uncle who went down on the U.S.S. Indianapolis.:(
I doubt if Russian partisans would be looking at it quite that objectively. What treatment do you suppose partisans would receive from the German forces, SS or Heere?

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,613 Posts
To a Russian partizan (or soldier), a German was a German, they didn't differentiate between Luftwaffe, Heer, Allgemeine SS or Waffen SS. If they knew they were different (and most probably didn't), they didn't care. Kill him if you can. If you can get him off by himself and have time - kill him slow and dirty. It was that kind of war in the East - read the memoirs. German or Russian, they are out there.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Neither the PzKpfw III or IV has a suspension and road wheel arrangement that looks much like a Sherman's IMO. Just as a T-34's doesn't look much like a Tiger's (see KELLY'S HEROS for a T-34 tricked out as a Tiger I).w
I don't know that much about them but the company that did the work probably did a lot of other modifications.
Some German tanks used the same basic suspension system as the Sherman and others used a radically different system. I'm not sure but I think both were based on US designs.

Well found a site with better information on the conversions used in film including the Tanks of Defiance which turned out to be Swiss tanks modified to pass as Panzers. These are the same type conversion done for Enemy at the Gate so the cutdown Shermans must have been for a different project.
http://filmpanzer.squarespace.com/

PS
Looks like I had it backwards, they constructed a fake Sherman Tank on the Chassi of a different Tank for the Film "The Great Raid"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.