Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
105,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Review: "Crown Jewels: The Mauser in Sweden" by Dana Jones originally by Kriggevaer

Every now and then a gun book is published that is of exceptional quality. Dana Jones, the author, has done just that with his volume on Swedish Mausers. This is THE definitive book on the Swedish Mauser and its variations. There is far more than dry research presented here and the history of the Swedish Mauser's origin and development is very well chronicled. Jones did what a very good researcher must do. He went to Sweden (among other places)to study the primary sources of information on the rifles. The three pages of author's acknowldgements are a listing of some of the most authoritative and well known historians and collectors of military rifles. The skeleton of the book consists of a historical overview of Sweden and the three manufacturers of the rifles, i.e., Carl Gustafs, Husqvarna, and Waffenfabrik Mauser, followed by 19 chapters of some of the most information laden pages I have ever found in a gun book. I will only hit some of the highlights of these chapters, since even a synopsis of a few chapters would take up a lot of space. The who, what, when, where and why of the design, development, testing, and adoption of both the Mauser rifle and the 6.5x55mm cartridge creates a very good platform for the unfolding of the following chapters. All of the models are covered; m/94, m/96, m/38, m/39 and m/40 (K98k), m/41, Weapons Officers' rifles, various early target rifles, CG 63 and related rifles including the CG 80. Once done with more than adequate discussions of each model, Jones launches into sights, ammunition, bayonets, miscellaneous accessories, and cleaning and maintenance in the subsequent chapters. The photographs in this book are worth the price alone. From the late 19th century all the way to the present, the photographs are very high quality, very well reproduced. If you want to see the what the handle screws and latching mechanism of a m/44 bayonet used by the Norwegian Politi troops looks like, it is there. How about the three steps of forging a bolt for the m/94? Try page 45. It is there in wonderful photographic detail. There is so much in this book, that all though I have read it completely through, I still keep picking it up to browse and seeing new things that I missed on the first read. I am not a Swedish Mauser expert. I collect them and I shoot them and appreciate them for being one of the highest quality military (or civilian, for that matter) rifles made by anyone, anywhere. This book absolutely expands my appreciation and knowledge. It is a must have, in fact I am considering ordering a second copy, because I will probably have this one worn out in a few months from handling and reading it so much. Buy It -

Just an addendum to the statements above. Very minor points and probably not in the author's control. The main text often blends with the photo caption text or suddenly disappears altogether. And the second edition needs to have plastic coated pages, so I can keep a copy in the shop and not worry about spilling bore cleaner on it and smearing it up with linseed oil

1 - 1 of 1 Posts