Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
A Hurricane crashed near Shoreham yesterday afternoon killing the pilot.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bummer. But now he's in the presence of the august company of the 'Few' who didn't return to the mess.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator
25,534 Posts
Duxford Spitfire

From 2004, June 3, practice before the huge air show. RIP for the pilot that was lost. Fewer and fewer.

·
Registered
135 Posts
One Saturday morning of June, mid '90s, in the West Midlands, I was daydreaming at my window and pondering about the need to find something useful to do, when a terrible rattle started on the other side of the house...
The noise grew louder and louder, stranger and stranger (think about a bunch of banging pots from hell's kitchen...) untill a Lancaster finally flew over, slightly on the right and low enough to give me a wonderfull view.
It was so low that I expected it to crash any time, as I didn't know of any airfield in the neighbourhood...
After a while I got somewhat reassured, and all I could think of was that there wasn't enough money in the world to get me for a ride in that warbird; and still, so many kids had flown at night to Germany in it....

·
Registered
31 Posts
another one gone

A Hurricane crashed near Shoreham yesterday afternoon killing the pilot.
sadly It,s now at a point where the pilot can be replaced....that plane is gone forever.
sounds a little cold blooded,but those planes are rare....pilots are a dime a dozen.
by the way....I am a pilot

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Yes one can be a bit ambivalent about it. Even the BBMF only have two Hurricanes.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
My uncle flew Spitfires and Hurricanes in the Belgian airforce after WWII.
Later he transitted to Gloster Meteor.
His unit was the first Belgian airforce unit to break the sound barrier.
After one too many crashes (he was lost at sea once for 5 days) my aunt "pursuaded" him to leave the airforce and go civilian.
He died a few years ago. My cousin still has some pictures of his, i keep badgering him to scan them.

Brgds, A

·
Registered
783 Posts
To those in Bomber Command as well.....

A picture of a Lancaster that I took MANY years ago..... The "forked tail devil"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts