Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just received the "Signed and Dated" Second Edition-2007 of "THE JAPANESE TYPE 99 ARISAKA RIFLE", by Doss White and Don Voigt (signed by Mr. Voigt). BRILLIANT!!!

The clarity and competent, detailed information on the subject is SUPERIOR. I found the "high density" color photographs of the Type 99 "furniture" to be an excellent source for "color matching" for those considering a "historical restoration" of their "OLD IMPERIAL WARRIOR". The color density and resolution of these photographs alone is worth the collector's investment in the publication.

I fully expect to see "well worn" versions of this book, above all others, being carried around at the upcoming TULSA GUN SHOW and others, by those WWII collectors who demand a solid quick reference tool to insure that they do not "BUY STUPID".

...I "WON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT"

all the best

·
Silver Bullet member
15,572 Posts
Ron,
Thanks for the kind words. Glad you like the book.

There is only one 'error' in the post, I acually edited the book with Doss White; Mr. Voigt(my father), has looked at a copy, but he didn't do any of the work!

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Rwoods tells the truth the way God loves it! However, credits should be shifted to, "Edited by Don Voigt and Doss White." While I published the initial book some years back and was about to update as we were running out of copies, Don took a "Plain Jane" and made a "Super Princess" out of it. Don, working with you was a pleasure as was drooling on your Love of Country, 44, hope you wiped it down good.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,008 Posts
Don - make sure your LOC didn't leave with Doss! And if it is still there make sure he didn't file the mum.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
An amendment to my initial post...for "ALL" of those who were instrumental in the production of this fine publication...............you're all "MAN GODS".

I am now armed with enough information to be "dangerous" for upcoming gun shows and on-line auctions...if only my "funds" remain courageous and stay away from more "Lithgow Enfields"...

all the best!

Ron

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
"Lithgow Enfields," isn't that the city where the Limeys play cricket when they're close to the net?

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,008 Posts
Ok Doss, how much did you & Don pay this guy? ;)

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Did you get a discount for having Dons name in there ? In all seriousness its the number one book on my wish list for my reference shelf.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,572 Posts
I rented a magnetometer for the weekend, and found seven files on the old man.

Jeesh, does he hate mums; he took the center out of the LOC before I could dis'file him!

Dave,
send me your address, again, I have a copy for you; signed my me and Doss, but inscribed to 'Robert', you won't mind, will you? I'll line through and put in Davef instead:)!

Thanks to all who ordered books, and acutally sent money, including Adogs!

I had a 93% completion rate of those who posted, " I want one", the other 3 guys may still be trying to sign on!

Didn't have to pay Ron, but we do appreciate the truthfull endorsement!

It was a real learning experience, editing the book; even with the old one's sage advice and complaints.

I'm even going to go for another book soon, it will be an entry level/elementary/quick reference for the 20th century Japanese rifles, the T30, 38, and 99 and variants.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
..."No animals were harmed or currency exchanged in the writing of this post".

As an old guy now, I simply appreciate being properly informed when I seek out a new addition to my "mini" collections...Cochran for Colts, Madis for Winchesters, Law for Mausers, Skennerton for Enfields, and now for the Type 99...well, you know!
all the best
Ron

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,008 Posts
Dave,
send me your address, again, I have a copy for you; signed my me and Doss, but inscribed to 'Robert', you won't mind, will you? I'll line through and put in Davef instead:)!
Dave won't mind - he has all kinds of things like that, especially from his girlfriends! ;)

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Under the "No vice like advice" heading, Don, Thinking about your book on the long, twisty drive home, why don't you have one (or two) pages on the Muratas, they are Japanese and still occasionally show up at a show. I think an ID photo of each would do with an abbreviated text similar to what you will have with the others??? Like I said, "No vice like advice."

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Actually girlfriends are a lot like rifles in that respect ,both are more fun after they're well broken in..Add LaBars book to the list of must haves ,RWoods, when it comes out its gonna be "THE BAYONET BOOK" to end all books, start saving now.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
...Gee, I feel like I'm in a EF Hutton commercial...over 180 reads from a single "job well done" book comment!

...a few comments about bayonets, I tend to put most of my pennies toward the rifles...
...although, I do keep my 4-1918 Vickers bayonet with my 5-1918 BSA No1 MkIII* Enfield, No 9 bayonet for my 1949 No4 MkI, South African Army marked, my 1944 "cof" bayo that goes with my dou. 44 K98 "bringback"...and a nice early Nagoya "quilliion" bayonet for my Type 99 Nagoya Series 2 "bringback" with mum, AA sights, numbers matching with that wonderful, "well experienced" apricot colored furniture that's shown so well in the new book.
I always wonder how many of these rifles were actual "cave dwellers" during WWII; I'm sure quite a lot of them were just that based on the "furniture" condition of the survivors.

For what it would cost to fit bayos to my 5 Lithgows (1940-1944) and the 1964 RFI No1 Mk3, I could be well on my way to adding a "nice" 1903 Springfield to my WWII "bolt gun" wall rack...

Thanks for the note...I'll add the bayo book to my list!
all the best
Ron

1 - 14 of 14 Posts