Gunboards Forums banner

reusing pull down components from 7.62x54r

4K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Morning Wood 
You have salvaged the bullets: saved yourself about 16 dollars per 100.
Go spend $25 and get a pound of rifle powder, which will eliminate Discovery Learning
with unknown powder and bring you a safe load per reloading manual.

The Enfields are not the strongest action in the world and experimenting with Chinese
powder of unknown characteristics is false economy. Its more a matter of not Yes You Can
but Why Would You re use unknown powder. Big Boy Rules Here.

I have had better luck than Morning Wood on use of these pulled 54R bullets in my No4Mk1 Long Branch
Enfield. With load development (IMR 4895 powder, new brass and modern boxer primers), been able to
get 1.5 to 2 inch groups at 100 yds. Not real great . I can hold the 8 ring easily at 300 yds ; often far better.
You will get Flyers as these bullets do vary in weight from one to another . If the drill is angle of man hits on
Army E type silhouettes, then "Hits" at 300 yds is 100% if you do your part.

I would consider that "pretty great" with an enfield. While on occasion, I get sub MOA 5-shot 100yd groups, they are the exception and not the norm. But this never happens with pulled 54R bullets. Actually, I guess a couple of my NO4's will shoot under 2" with some regularity, but I really have to work for it.
Actually, its not "Pretty Great" for an Enfield. This No.4Mk1* rifle will shoot sub MOA with 174 gr BTHP match loads at 100yds and hold into the 9 ring at 1000 yds. The Parker Hale Target sights on it HELP alot !!!!

Quality bullets fly best. Pulled 54R bullets....not in same food group as the match bullets and accuracy shows that clearly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.