Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there, new member here but been lurking for a bit,

Recently put a 98k on hold for a few days at a local shop, it's a S/42 1937 as per the title. The tag on it is for $890 which I know is high even before I researched more (part of their stock is consignment so figured this isn't the store's price).

Before I list off numbers/etc I want to say I don't know 100% what should have serials or where.

Everything matches except for buttplate (flat style, white) and upper band. Every marking (eagles, swastikas,serials, etc) are all intact even on the stock. I will have to check the safety lever (might not have serial), bolt stop, and band spring for numbers tomorrow. There's an RC stamped serial on the left side of the stock right after the takedown disc. I didn't look to check under it if any German serial was there or I guess I'd need to actually take apart the rifle to find out the real serial? Bluing and stock seem untouched but I'm not overly familiar with the fit/finish of older guns and I know there can be a lot done to the finish be it RC or some other previous owner, I'll get pics to show it. There's no electro penciling anywhere on the rifle and I didn't come across the 'X' at all but will confirm now that I know to look for it. Main serial number is 3627 and I didn't see any Portugal factory markings as I recall so it had to be from Oberndorf originally if I understand the markings right. Lastly I'll check for the other smaller numbers on the fasteners/screws/takedowns and check the capture screws on the bottom.

Just wanted to confirm just from the left sided serial alone that I'm dealing with an RC and maybe have a couple stabs at what a ballpark figure should look like given the information provided. Again I'll be grabbing some pictures tomorrow and seeing if anyone can give some input after that.

I'm going off rough memory as I looked at around 6 Enfields, a few Springfields, and a handful of Mosins but have been researching past couple days to see how things should look on a full matching rifle so accuracy isn't guaranteed yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$880 for an RC!!! Have seen some go for $3-400 which in itself amazing. PIcs will help the experts here help you out. I am admittedly not one of them.
Yah I can't quite figure that one out myself haha, I think there's one other K98 in the shop Ill do a once over as well but hopefully he's open to offers. I came in a few hours after it was delivered.

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,746 Posts
On the surface sounds over priced. But I am envious a Shop with a 98k and "... 6 Enfields, a few Springfields, and a handful of Mosins..." Wow, not here in Vegas!! Haven't seen that much in some of the gun shows lately!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yah they have a good range of the different variants, some of the 1903s have been there 2+ years. Will be calling other shops in the area to see if they have any stock. Really looking to pick up my first K98.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Capture rifles (this one may be RC, or may be something else), tend to run $400-$500 these days. $900 is in the range of a nice bolt mm, so this one is significantly overpriced. I would be suspicious of any captured 98k, that has been reworked, with matching numbers. Serial numbers have been re-stamped, and even if original and matching s/n, parts may have different waffenampts - indicating different manufacturers. Military arms of other countries may, and probably do, have mixed parts, from arsenal rework, but you wouldn't know it because they aren't numbered. Even South American contract Mausers are not as extensively marked. The K98k has always been a specialized field because of this depth of detail and diversity of manufacture. It is not a good starting point for a first Mod 98, but if that is your choice, I would likely post in the WTB section, and ask for the advice of the very knowledgeable folks here. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went to go check it out again and passed on it. Was a mess of mixed parts I wasn't looking for. Bolt/receiver matched but most things didn't after looking at other good examples. The front clasps were reblued or painted and non matching, buttplate didn't match anything. Only thing it had going for it was all marks were visible and non marred and that there was no RC 'X' nor electro penciling. Lot of fasteners and smaller pieces were unmarked and looked like replacements. Thanks for the input guys.

If it sits for quite a while like all the other WW2 rifles in there Ill throw a lowball at it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.