·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Original title:
"Bubba painted my Carcano (FINALLY FINISHED)"

Rentprop1
Posted - 04/10/2004 : 12:43:35 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
got this from a buddy who asked if I could clean it up and make it look like it used to ???? this will be my biggest challenge yet, plan to use some Dad's easy spray to remove the green paint and the blue will have to be bead blasted off then re-blued, there doesn't seem to be a lot of rust under the paint...

http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/rentprop1/200441004245_Carcano GRBLUE.jpg
Download Attachment:
222.73 KB
http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/rentprop1/200441004314_close up2.jpg
Download Attachment:
207.51 KB

I would appreciate any ideas, oh by the way I shot a 3 inch group with it at 50 yds then had to put it away as I could hear guys laughing thru my ear muffs
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited by - Rentprop1 on 11/19/2004 12:03:51 AM

NebrHogger
Posted - 04/11/2004 : 07:55:50 AM
I would actually like to see the pics. I'm also glad you didn't take offense - I've seen some people really get a knot in their dental floss over a little levity. Actually, I don't turn down firearms modified in that manner if the price is right. You never know what might be lurking under the paint!! SW

Rentprop1
Posted - 04/13/2004 : 12:42:53 AM
oh crap under the green paint there was a coat of Orange...you asked for renovation pics here they are...the bead blast did not work out so I was forced to use the wire wheel on the bench grinder

http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/rentprop1/200441304158_Orange Carcano1.jpg
Download Attachment:
217.18 KB

http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/rentprop1/200441304238_orange carcano 2.jpg
Download Attachment:
226.63 KB

BradB
Posted - 04/14/2004 : 08:58:15 AM
In a case like this one, I have found "Zip Strip" to be a good product.

doughboy
Posted - 04/14/2004 : 12:28:11 PM
I think we can all see the crying need for paintbrush control here, how many other innocent rifles must suffer the same fate before we come to our senses. I've taken the liberty of forwarding this to Paintbrush Control Inc., who promise to try to push legislation banning the indiscriminate use of paintbrushes, and limit their use to only those in authority who are licenced and trained in the correct use of paintbrushes.

Seriously, I tend to jump at rifles like that, you never know what may be lurking under all the paint. A couple of years ago I picked up a 1891 TS that someone had given several very heavy coats of bright red varnish. Under it all was the best wood, bar none, that I have ever seen on a Carcano, complete with cartouches that look as if they were put there yesterday----maybe all that varnish protected the wood from the usual bumps and bruises. Ans yes, I found Zip Strip to be my best friend throughout it all. Good luck with yours!

Rentprop1
Posted - 08/06/2004 : 12:44:59 AM
UPDATE :.......................

well it has been almost 4 months too hot to work out in the garage here in South Florida in the summer time, but I have made some headway, after a second coat of Citri Strip the orange paint still lurkes ( people told me this stuff sucked but I did not listen got it on clearance ), and after about 30 min with a wire wheel most of the Blue from the metal is gone...I am committed to finishing it now look for more rea soon
p.s. yes my buddy wants it back whenever I can get it done he has an A/C company and did a lot of work for me so this is sort a re-payment , plus i find it relaxing, I have to get this done so I can start on my AMD 65 parts kit I just got./Mark

NebrHogger
Posted - 08/06/2004 : 07:32:48 AM
Thanks for the update! That must have been a really durable paint. I would have thought with the oily wood usually found on milsurps that it would have come right off. The chemists at Dutchboy must have whipped up something special for the aquamarine armorers. SW

Rentprop1
Gunboards Super Premium Member
Posted - 11/04/2004 : 02:31:06 AM
Update, I know it has been months, but I finally got a coat of BLO on the old girl, removed all the blue paint from the metal with a combination of wire wheel, and bead blast, its ready to start some cold blue, will not be long now....pics to come....thanks for the intrest

NebrHogger
Posted - 11/04/2004 : 5:28:08 PM
Wire wheel & bead blast? Dang!! That's some TOUGH paint!! Sounds almost like tinted epoxy! Heck, some strenuous metal treatment, and you Carcano would be ready for 'Submarine Descent' troops!! (hang on the side & jump at the proper place like Russky tank descent troops) Looking forward to the pics!!SW

Rentprop1
Posted - 11/19/2004 : 12:02:33 AM
well guys here it is finally got it finished, sorry to keep those of you who were interested in this project for so long, I am kinda disappointed in how the metal turned out so bad , but given the orig condition what the hell it was fun.....enjoy

http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/rentprop1/2004111823134_car2.jpg
Download Attachment:
197.68 KB

NebrHogger
Posted - 11/20/2004 : 05:54:55 AM
I like it! Maybe a little BLO to darken the wood a touch, but it don't look bad at all! SW

Rentprop1
Posted - 11/21/2004 : 12:35:48 AM
thats 3 coats of BLO now, what was hard was the ammount of Rust on the barrel and action, I used bluing and rust remover first and plenty of it, before bluing, however the metal came out with a case hardened look, kinda cool I think, I have another carcano, almost wanted to keep this one for myself ( sentimental now )...I cant beliven how many people have seen this thread..............thanks for the support guys...Mark

Connie
Posted - 11/23/2004 : 12:42:37 PM
Not bad! Looks surprisingly better, nice work...

k98k792
Posted - 11/23/2004 : 1:05:27 PM
Good job!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts