Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Someone earlier posted about possibly restoring a M28/30. So I thought I would get a few quick photos of my 28/30 I restored this year and a M39 giving it some company.

1938 Sako M28/30 (1905 Tula) from the Raasepori CG district with a matching bolt. The bolt alone has 3 or 4 different serial numbers. Some of them start with an "S" so the bolt has been around.

Obviously the rear band screw is wrong. Only thing I really need to swap out yet. The stock is a 1940 and pretty beat up but it is what is. Some nice striping on the hand guard. The bore makes up for any of the stock defects though! Mirror and excellent rifling! Originally had no recoil lug. And when I got it felt like the stock sat out in the desert for who knows how long. So dry! Probably where most of the small cracks, dings and discoloration came from. NEGLECT. Small areas of rust around the receiver, barrel, muzzle, sight ears. And the sling etchelons were so rusted I couldnt see any of them. The rust is all gone but because it was on there for so long it gave the original bluing a few small darker colored blotches on the receiver and barrel.

Pretty happy the way it turned out. Underestimated from the outside! But I wouldnt want to shoot against it :)

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
Looks like a fun project - I am all for originality, sometimes pieces cross our path and they already have been messed up - One really can't be faulted for trying to bring em back to spec, as close as ya can - They become worth the sum of their parts, but it beats just leaving em be. Besides, I have only come across a couple 28-30s in the wild and that was over quite a span of time.

I try not to add more projects to the collection, but if one crosses my path and the price is right, then I will pounce on it like a cat on a Junebug! :)

Good Job!

Pahtu.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts