Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my most recent Gewehr 98, an old VFW rifle that is marked to the 19th Reserve Pioneer battalion. It's a nice Gew overall, has never been reworked, not even during the war, and has a good looking patina to it. Now I need a Reserve Pioneer marked bayonet.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
That's a nice rifle PM. I for one love the rifles that come from the 'Halls" and other similar locations. Even though condition may not be as nice the history is what gets me wound up!

- Best regards! Mike

·
Registered
190 Posts
No kidding Mike S.! Minty examples of anything is always nice but the history and character of a piece is just as important if not moreso. One of my favorite examples of this are those Imperial German trench knives. The maket is flooded with minty examples all of which (so I understand) are of genuine WWI German manufacture but were shipped to some South American country where they sat until recent decades when they were released onto the collector's market. I never bought any of them...I prefer the examples that were "over there" or better yet, unit-marked regardless of condition. Consequently, I only have a few WWI German trench knives in my collection.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed, Mike. War Bond and VFW rifles are full of genuine history, and aside from being deactivated and sometimes rough, can be quite nice and original since there was no reason to sporter them up. I was very pleased to find that this one was all matching under the smoke and tar, except for the bolt, which appears to be from a sterngewehr.

RIR120, your trench knife collection sounds pretty interesting. I sometimes see knives called trench knives but am always suspicious and hesitant to buy any because I don't know anything about them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts