Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I picked up this helmet. The story was good behind it and I had a feeling it was real.

So, does this appear to be a real Japanese WW II Army helmet?

If it is real, roughly what would it be worth?

I can take more pictures.

Thank you!

· Registered
1,160 Posts
Well, don't take this the wrong way, because I'm not being mean. I don't know what it is, but it isn't Japanese. It looks little bit like maybe a Czech helmet....
The liner is easy, it is a very distinctive US M17A1 liner, that is the "doughboy" helmet worn at the beginning of WW2. It is an interesting arrangement of pieces though. The biggest give away is that it is round, Type-90 Japanese helmets are more of an oval when viewed from the top. There is also a sort of "proto-crest" ridge on the top, four vent holes (two on each side), and three rivet slots. The star serves as a rivet to hold in the liner, and when viewing the helmet from the bottom and with the star at 12 o'clock, the other slots will be at 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock. On the inside there are also three loops riveted to the shell at 10 o'clock, 2 o'clock, and 6 o'clock. These loops hold on the web chinstrap.

· Platinum Bullet member
7,003 Posts
Can't tell for sure. My reference material, and Swedish helmet aren't with me. Suspension is different from Swedish. They have no band. Pads are attached to the shell itself, and also, not to the top. And, they are not round. I can't tell shape for sure cuz I have a new monitor that streaches everything horizontally. Liner is also different from my US M17A1, in that it has no aluminum band. Chin strap is similar. There are round Japanese Civic helmets, but have never seen one with a leather suspension. Will have to do some research when I am able. Probably not Japanese, But interesting. The Japanese did reissue some Dutch helmets, but they have a destinctive profile. M.P.

· Gold Bullet member
4,351 Posts
Can't tell for sure. My reference material, and Swedish helmet aren't with me. Suspension is different from Swedish. They have no band. Pads are attached to the shell itself, and also, not to the top. And, they are not round. I can't tell shape for sure cuz I have a new monitor that streaches everything horizontally. Liner is also different from my US M17A1, in that it has no aluminum band. Chin strap is similar. There are round Japanese Civic helmets, but have never seen one with a leather suspension. Will have to do some research when I am able. Probably not Japanese, But interesting. The Japanese did reissue some Dutch helmets, but they have a destinctive profile. M.P.
My vote remains swedish shell done up with new guts as a movie prop... likely from the 50s or 60s... most war movies from then (with some exceptions) are really poorly done in terms of accuracy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.