Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 Model 1918 bayonets with scabbards. According to the Swiss serial number database, one bayonet, Waffenfabrik Neuhausen, was issued in 1925 to a M1911 short rifle and comes in a blued scabbard. The other bayonet, Elsener Schwyz, was issued in 1942 to a M1931 short rifle and comes in a glossy green scabbard.
I have never seen a green Swiss scabbard before. The paintwork is very neat and doesn't look like it has been repainted after production.
Does anyone know why it is green?

I have also noticed that some M1889, M1899 and M1918 scabbards have an 8cm leather strap attached to the frog loop and some don't.
Why the variations?

If anyone can answer these 2 questions, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
The leather strap is for frog to attach it, the green paint is certainly not production period, probably done later. The serial numbers could deciphere which year rifle or carbine was it used with, should be measured barell ring too. But the swiss serials could be determined the main weapon.M18 bayonet was used with K11 carbine same as the later modernised K31 carbine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Andy. I was hoping that the glossy green scabbard may have been for a special purpose, such as parade ground/ceremonial. But I guess not.
Regarding my M1899 and M1918 scabbards that do not have the 8cm leather strap, could it be that the straps were removed so they could fit into the later M57 frogs, which have an integrated strap instead of the buckle?

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
Should be added here on swiss forum, there are experts maybe its a reason why is the green paint there. Hard to believe the M57 frog was used with older bayonets more real it was other some of the old frogs were used with new STg57 bayonets and were reworked this way. Scabbard wout the strap were clearly not used were removed from service, maybe some dont have any serials and was reserve? any pictures?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.