Gunboards Forums banner

Reprodution K98 Snipers

1K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Dotman 
#1 ·
I am presently looking at a reprodution R/C LSR K98 on Auction arms. Are they worth it? I mean for the price, it sure beats paying double or triple that for a real one. Also with all the fakes out there. The guy is honest and states its a reprodution gun. I want it for a representive piece plus perhaps using it for reenacting purposes. I know the purist collector would not touch them but for us budget people reprodution snipers are the only way. Investment wise what do you all think? Thanks!

#2 ·
I pondered putting one together myself,(of course, with a previously drilled and tapped rifle), but even the repro mounts and scopes are a bit out of my reach. I say, if you want it, and it's a deal, snag it. Just don't try to pass it off as an original. That's been done enough-(see the 'turd alerts' here)!
Considering the cost of the mounts and scopes, even repro's, it will always have a value higher than a plain RC.
Post pics if you get it- I like being tormented by k98 snipers!

#3 ·
I don't know what you are looking at on AA, but there is something to think about...

Did the guy put it together himself, or did somebody else put it together. Getting a scope mounted a bit "off" in the location could cause you problems, like failure to be able to sight in the scope, and might be why the guy is now looking to sell the rifle. You don't want to inherit somebody else's failed project.

Take a look at one of the sponsors here ... Interordanance... They are selling repo snipers, and have set up the proper facilities to do the mounting of scopes and mounts. Certainly don't pay more for the AA one, than what IO is selling them for.

Good luck!

#7 · (Edited)
......might be why the guy is now looking to sell the rifle. You don't want to inherit somebody else's failed project.

Take a look at one of the sponsors here ... Interordanance... They are selling repo snipers, and have set up the proper facilities to do the mounting of scopes and mounts. Certainly don't pay more for the AA one, than what IO is selling them for.

Good luck!

Bill, he's talking about our member Mag204's LSR on AA. He's not selling because it doesn't work. And his is 4,000% better than the IO snipers. His rifle was painstakingly put together to be a replica with all the correct characteristics of BCD LSR, should check it out to see the difference between his and one of the IO snipers.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, his has a correct bek repro LSR scope on it (which you can't even find anymore). Not the repro zeiss zielvier that every other vendor uses with their LSR rigs, which is totally incorrect for that mount anyway. Again, just no comparison between the LSR on AA and an IO or any other vendor repro.

#6 ·
What are the I.O. guns going for? I do believe they are high turret mount repros.. The one I'm looking at is a Long side rail(LSR) mount gun. I could give you the Auction # if that is allowed? I did not ask the seller if he made up the gun or somebody else did. Come to think of it I did not ask if the receiver was thick as an original BCD gun or was shimmed. I assumed it was shimmed with a plate. Guess I shouldn't assume anything? I will ask the seller these questions. Thanks!

#9 ·
One,Double Ditto bill in IN. i shoot. mostly irons. that kind of work needs jigs and a smith. ive seen some russian snipers that had to have the cross hairs WAY off to the left from poor mounting. one little 'hair' off and your off center. done.
two. they look cool. ive shot em. IMHO great second gen snipers. and mauser. but. id shoot em first. IMHO the scope is WAY high for a good cheek rest. check out the british snipers. they were into it. made a cheek rest. yep. shoot one first. really. for some it ok, but i wont own one for that reason. great for collecting. looks cool. i suppose you could just put a cheek rest for shootin. just a FYI folks.

#11 ·
There is some pics of it in the wts forum. Its a VERY nice repro. Correct scope. I think the scope is made by iron elite. As the i/o sold for $1250 with crappy mount work this one is worth the higher price. I have a i/o lsr.As for the price the repros are only going to be worth alittle more than what you have in them. I just don't like the re#. To me thats getting a little close to fakery for me. Thats just my thoughts. If the mount and scope are from Bob and the mount work is from Ron you are getting a good set up. They did a turret mount for me.

#14 ·
Ask to see a target shot by the rifle/scope combination. Many repro K98 snipers are changing hands briskly because they don't group. I have seen a friend completely unable to hold the black at 200 yds with his, and he will have a hard time selling it at any price to anyone who has seen it in action. Others are very accurate - you just need proof. Or an agreement that you can send it back if it doesn't group.

#15 ·
There is a so called real Bcd marked LSR for sale on GB for buy it now for $13,500.. Now I know why I'm interested in the repro. one being discussed. I can buy a MP-35 for $13,300. Guess it just depends what one is into and willing to pay. As already stated most likely, it shows why people are making reprodutions but problem is passing them off as original for more $$$.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.