Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Century Reproduction 91/30 Sniper that I got from Classic Arms Inc. a while back. I lucked out that the scope is an original SVT scope. However, the mount is alumimun. While everything works well for now, I hear(read) stories that these mounts are prone to breakage. Does anyone make a steel reproduction mount that will bolt right up to this rfle with out any further modifications? No extra holes to drill or any other nonsense. Like this set up as it shoots well now that I have the mount tweaked to where it should have been coming from the manufacturer. TIA

·
Silver Bullet member
872 Posts
usmc69---I had the same setup from Classic but chose to get a different mount before a problem came up. Some have had good luck with the alumn mount but I chose to spend a few more $ and got a steel repro from Accumounts. I know you just want to replace it with out to much hassle but I doubt if you can find any without some kind of adjustment. I think the main screws are m6 or m5x1 and the steel replacement are m6x.75 also the mounts offered are either 53.5mm or 55.5mm on the spacing and my spacing was 54.1mm Yours may be a little different.. I asked John if he had a undrilled mount available and used the alumn base on the rifle as a template to drill the steel base then used the same pins and screws that were in the rifle originally.

Regards
Art

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,589 Posts
My experience is that the aluminum base screw and pin size and spacing are very different than a steel base. A redrill and tap and some base hole wobbling got the screws satisfactorily in place. The pin diameter and spacing was much dfferent. .150 inches farther back at the rear and .075 in front. Pin diameter was smaller on the aluminum as well.
Measure before purchasing a replacement base. Your results/specs may vary.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts