Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Spring I found a nice Type 14 in a LGS for a whole whopping $300. Its matching numbered except for the magazine. I want to reload 8mm nambu for it. I searched Ebay for a die set (found a set there already) but I also noticed several auctions for repro Type14 magazines while I was searching for dies. Didnt buy any of them as I was focusing on finding/buying the die set and shellplate etc. Now, there are no listings for those repro mags that I can find. Did anybody buy one? Were they any good? Is there a source for them I havent found yet?

Also on reloading. I have seen and read where 40 S&W or 357 Sig brass can be used, but may need the rim filed to fit and a 30-30 sizing die is needed to swage the base of the brass casing. I have a few hundred 40 S&W cases picked up from a range. But I dont have a 30-30 die set and hesitate to buy a die set for a caliber I dont have. Is there another way to swage the base?

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Nice 2nd series type 14. I would not waste my time on a repro mag and use the original, but that is just me. I would put a new spring kit in it and likely a repro firing pin before I shot it.
I am not able to comment on the reloading as I ran into a bunch of modern Nambu ammo and kept most of it. I have only shot less than 200 rounds through my shooter.
John

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
I've not seen the repro T 14 mags, can you post a link or mention where and the title of an auction.
I'd like to have a look.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I use CH-4D dies. I couldn’t find any in stock and back order prices were marked wayyy up. So I called them directly and got a set along with a crimp die. I load all my pistol ammo on a progressive and had to modify a powder drop die.

It’s a bit excessive but it really speeds up reloading. Here is a link to the set up that I worked out.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Sounds like it took some engineering to make it work progressively but thats part of the fun, right? I also use the those dies, single stage with no problem. I use a similar load but with ww231 or bullseye. I think I will trie using my 32 acp lee expansion die to drop powder for the 8mm.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
$300!!!!!!
I'd have been all over that like the proverbial flies!
All I ever see in these parts are hugely overpriced examples.
Mostly mixmasters with "issues"!

Had one years ago but moved it on because it wasn't where my interests were at that time.
Fast forward a couple of decades and my interest is once again rising.
Maybe someday.

Good score, by my lights, no matter what you need to do to get her running.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.