Gunboards Forums banner

Repro Mums

6K views 49 replies 29 participants last post by  milprileb 
I hate fakery, but; a little honest restoration is not necessarily an evil deed. I dont always know where to draw the line and I know that line is ever moving. I have a very deep revulsion for a ground receiver. The image posted by 1942Arisaka does not evoke that same emotion. That maybe all on me. I am still looking for my first mum, so; this is a very good information for me. Now, I know to look more carefully at this area.
If you’re welding on a gun, and adding on missing markings, you’re making a fake. People can pretend and dance around it. But it’s fakery.

As a non expert, but gun lover; i would think it a shame to part a rifle because of a faked stamp. Note the other discussion currently in progress about a paratrooper rifle with a nazi stamp on the stock. Would the expert advise parting that --most would not.
There really isn’t a comparison here. A fake stamp on a wooden stock is different than welding up steel on the high pressure part of a gun’s receiver. One is a fake piece of crap, the other is a fake piece of crap with potential metallurgy issues that could lead to a gun taking someone’s face off.

That distinction seems to have been missed here.

Part it out.

i see both sides i tried to start a conversation on it years ago what is restoration and when and what is acceptable. i think you would get as many answers as people. i personally feel if damage is done you can not hurt it no more. but you need to divulge it to the next person because they may not feel the same as you. somethings are petty tho if a button pops off a tunic should you tell the person you sell it to? if you add a chinstrap to a helmet do you tell? i think if it is original and period correct there is no need. some things should be told if you add a patch if you repair a rip paint something. i guess we all feel different. i hate repop stuff.
Yes. You tell the buyer. Button. Chinstrap. Whatever. It’s called honesty and disclosure. It takes 15 seconds to not hide something from a good faith purchaser. If it’s really not a big deal, and it doesn’t matter, why would you worry about hiding it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.