Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
I've seen a couple, on one you could see the "dip" in the receiver but not all mums were as aggressively removed of course. I'm not sure if it's still up, but there's been a receiver on gunbroker for sale for quite awhile now referred to as a "restored" mum.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,646 Posts
Yep, they are often faked!
The real Imperial Mum has 16 pedals, the generally used Mum has 14 pedals.
The 14 pedal Mum stamp is readily available, and is widely used on Japanese goods.
So, if in doubt, count the petals, if the count is 14, it's a faked restamp.
That said, there are 16 pedal Mum stamps out there, but the stamp I see most often is smaller in diameter than the real stamping found on a rifle.
Bottom line is, buyer beware.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
I hate fakery, but; a little honest restoration is not necessarily an evil deed. I dont always know where to draw the line and I know that line is ever moving. I have a very deep revulsion for a ground receiver. The image posted by 1942Arisaka does not evoke that same emotion. That maybe all on me. I am still looking for my first mum, so; this is a very good information for me. Now, I know to look more carefully at this area.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Where to draw the line? The line is "do not add fake mums to receivers to trick people into thinking the rifle has an intact mum".

Under no circumstances is a restamped mum acceptable or "restoration". If someone wants a rifle with a mum, buy one that has it intact. That mum that gets added back today is going to trick someone down the line. Someone in one of the Arisaka Facebook groups asked about adding a mum back to a rifle and despite wanting to rip into him, I simply said "Absolutely not".

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I have to agree. Proofs and religious stamps are a true part of the history of that piece and were placed there by the people who at that time were under the "authority" of such markings. I have no problem with a defaced mum because even the defacing was part of that rifle's history. If I want an original mummed rifle, I'll put out the bucks ands get it. But my defaced mum rifle is on display and was brought home by a vet. So, I'm happy with it!

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I just wouldn't purchase a rifle with a fake mum on it. Guess you could grind it down again.

Glad no one felt obligated to "restore" this rifle I own.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I hate fakery, but; a little honest restoration is not necessarily an evil deed. I dont always know where to draw the line and I know that line is ever moving. I have a very deep revulsion for a ground receiver. The image posted by 1942Arisaka does not evoke that same emotion. That maybe all on me. I am still looking for my first mum, so; this is a very good information for me. Now, I know to look more carefully at this area.
If you’re welding on a gun, and adding on missing markings, you’re making a fake. People can pretend and dance around it. But it’s fakery.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.