Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A friend asked if I would post something on this now that we're on "the other side" of the great forum change. Most of my lanyards are "installed" in my rig displays but I thought a side by side comparison might be helpful. The top lanyard is a repro I bought to have as a reference. The other is an original, not my best, but still a decent original.
The cord is reproduced very well - looks like the strand & thread group count are correct. But the repro cord is a little bit "fuzzy" compared to an original. This could change with "aging". The leather, perhaps, offers the best clues. It helps to "know" Japanese leather - when you've seen & handled enough of it - ya just get a feel for legit! The fresh sharp edges are a clue, but the quality of the leather and the stitching offer the best clues. Note the large triangular holes for the stitching on the repro 'joiner'. My originals have either round or squarish holes that are much smaller. I've heard a black light can be used to check these. Guess I should get one.
Anyway, whoever is making these is doing a kick-ass job. Oh, one more thing - all the repros I've seen are tan in color. I do have an original that is the exact same color. So, watch for tan lanyards & give them a little extra scrutiny.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
One other thing - don't go by how this stitching on the repro looks (angle & stitch count). The exact same stitching is on some of the joiners & keepers of my other lanyards.
Buyer - beware!

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Dogs, great post. As you mention, I usually look carefully at the leather and if they have that "fresh sharp edge" look, right off the bat it's a repro. I think it's very difficult to reproduce that rounded edge look on the keeper and especially the connector piece.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Not only that but Japanese WW2 leather has a distinct quality to it. It has a certain grain & thickness that you should look for. I always thought the Japanese holsters were better made than (maybe not as stylish as) German holsters. They used some really good leather! This is the one thing I'd check closest for. The repro leather is not nearly as good or thick.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,572 Posts
Now this is a post that is Adogs quality. Thanks for the great info and pictures.

·
Registered
477 Posts
It should be noted that many of these repro lanyards and holsters are made in Japan, and possibly China. I bought, a while back, a repro T-94 and T-14 holster with all the required straps, pouches and lanyards for each. They are very good repros. I believe the same company that made mine also made the ones in Letters From Iwo Jima as the T-94 holster in the movie exhibited some of the same characteristics as my repro, notably the "gap" in the top front of the flap. I think mine originally came from Nagata (?) in Japan.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
A number of repros were made in OK AS REPROS using the same cord as the originals, the repros are still being made AS REPROS, but with a slightly different cord. If in doubt twist the lanyard, "against the grain," opening the individual strands. If the lanyard is aged on the outside and shows white on the inside there is a good chance it is a repro. The first batch were so good I got my original mixed with the repros and now I don't know if my "real" lanyard is a repro and a "repro" I sold was the original. My original was never issued so the "white inside" test would not work. That's what happens when you answer the phone in the middle of a comparison project and forget what your were doing later.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The first batch were so good I got my original mixed with the repros and now I don't know if my "real" lanyard is a repro and a "repro" I sold was the original. My original was never issued so the "white inside" test would not work. That's what happens when you answer the phone in the middle of a comparison project and forget what your were doing later.
This is what happens if you're a ding-dong! ;)

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Ding-dong? Sir, I resemble that statement. I deny the allegation and challenge the allegator!

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, send me the lanyard in question. If it's original, I'll say it's a repro & give you $20 for it. If it's a repro, I'll laugh at you for not being able to tell the difference! Sounds like a win - win situation to me! ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts