Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
36,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I may have had the answer to getting a Russian Red finish on my SKS stock right under my nose. I had a bottle of brown leather dye here at the house, and just for the helluvit I wiped the stock down with it. Then I put on a coat of gloss clear spray. Looks pretty close, nicht wahr?

If it needs a smidge of "browning", I might spray on a couple of coats of amber shellac. But first, I want to get some opinions and suggestions.

First pic is inside, a little darker looking than it actually is.

Here is the stuff I used...

And outside in the full light after spraying with clear coat.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Replicator's down for repairs. I tried to replicate 7 of 9 and it vapor locked. :)

Spax - nope, that's just clear gloss. I'm going to get some amber shellac and spray on a few coats. Here's a pic of the "resurrected" SKS. Note that the handguard is a bit more brown - I'm going to shoot for something closer to that, although judging from the stocks dfariswheel posted, I'm bang in the middle of the color chart.

Oh, and I don't know what became of the stock sling swivel. I know I put it someplace, but I can't remember where. Where can I get a replacement?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.