Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G’Day folks,

I am hoping you may be able to assist me in understanding what scope I have in my possession. I know next to nothing about scopes and sniper rigs, so please bear with my ignorance. You may be able to provide a little cure.

My attempts at research on German sniper scopes of WW2 have led to next to nothing of value. Unfortunately, there’s too many Bubbas that get to write ‘stuff’ on the web, hence my approach to a more knowledgeable forum.

I bought a “Kar 98k sniper” replica some time ago. Allegedly it was equipped with an “…Ebra 6x…” scope. Dimensions of the scope are:

Length 318mm
Objective Diameter 40mm
Ocular Diameter 33 mm
Body Diameter 26.5mm

The protective paint coating has been stripped and the underlying metal still coated with some type of clear lacquer or something. There is no marking on the exterior of the tube, or turret (other than “6x59”) to determine maker, user or instructions (such as range settings on elevation ring!) The knurled collar around the body, forward of the ocular lens does not rotate. I assume that was meant to focus the reticule?

My thought is that this is a replica scope, made wither in China or Ukraine.

What would you suggest I have here? (photos below)

Thank you in advance for your kind assistance.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks emcon, I have done that, however I believe that being a scope intended for a K98, the likelihood that a knowledgeable response coming from this interest group seems quite higher to me.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Frosty.

The turret ring, as I understand you're describing, is the range adjustment, isn't it? I'm not fmailiar.

The knurled ring around the body toward the ocular lens (which will not turn) is for focus of the reticle, i am guessing. Am I close?

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
you are correct in your comment.the turret ring will adjust the reticle for elevation,only. the knurled ring in front of the eyepiece is for adjusting the focus to suit individual's eyesight. if you loosen the setscrew located on that ring,you will then be able to adjust and turn the ring for focus that suits you or anyone. the focus ring may seem difficult to turn due to age and being set for so long,but if you have backed off the set screw it should be able to move. it may help to also apply some lubricant a few hours before you attempt adjustment,but you MUST loosen the set screw to adjust and then tighten it again after you have set it to your liking.the set screw holds the focus ring from turning in use.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
...it may help to also apply some lubricant a few hours before you attempt adjustment,but you MUST loosen the set screw to adjust and then tighten it again after you have set it to your liking.the set screw holds the focus ring from turning in use.
Thanks Frosty,

Tried the lube on that focus ring and it isn't budging. I think it's been deformed by previous owner/s and is not jammed in the scope casing. I have tried to remove it, but am not confident in ensuring no damage. Will leave it as is.

What period would you place this scope's manufacture and market availability in? I am thinking it's 1930's-1950's?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.