Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had time to take a real close look at my handguard.
Just from a quick look, I was wondering how the wood comes off the tube.

I need to replace the wood, mine cracked.

Any tricks on how to ,would be appreciated.

·
Registered
54 Posts
picked up a few and used them near the Hindu Kush, never tried to maintain any of them just threw them back down. i've owned a few here and there, same story. I don't have any of them now, but if it's like i remember and like the SKS, there is a pin that holds the rear clamp that sandwiches the wood to the other clamp approx mid way on the gas tube. you drive it out and tap it a bit out of each clamp and reverse the process to put the new in.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
The wood is removed by rotating the wood on the gas tube.
Here's full instructions:

http://www.novarata.net/Linx310/furnitureremoval.htm

Depending on how tight the wood is, you may be able to hold the wood in one hand and rotate the gas tube with a wrench.
If it's too tight, you can put the unit in a vise and tighten the vise JUST barrel enough to prevent the wood from shifting, BUT BE SURE YOU HAVEN'T ALSO CLAMPED THE GAS TUBE.
You want the vise jaws contacting the top of the wood and the bottom edges of the wood with no contact on the metal tube. PAD THE VISE.

Also note that AK wood has a tendency to crack when removal is attempted.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
Not fun going on or off. Be patient and work it off little by little and smoothly. Never apply so much pressure to the wood that it deforms, grabs and cracks. Honestly I think this is the dumbest part of Mikhail's design but I guess there wasn't a Soviet plastics industry back then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts