Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the barrel on my Kokura series 21. Apparently all the barrels were not chrome lined and mine is very pitted. Even the chamber which leaves small impressions in the brass when a cartridge is fired.

Is there anything special about the removal or replacement of the new barrel? Especially hard to remove, etc.

Appreciate any information.

Joe

·
Gold Bullet member
1,655 Posts
jwh2, those barrels are hard to remove. In the past I have had barrels removed by a machinist. Once you have the old barrel off, installing a good Kokura barrel is easy, provided it will index correctly. A good action wrench and barrel vice will do the trick. You may have to use shims to get the barrel to index, especially if the barrel is from another manufacture. As shims, John Deere cotton picker spindle washers work well [ thanx Riceone ]. I believe they come in 5/1000" and 10/1000" thickness. I hope this helps.

Chuck.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
It'll cost more to replace the barrel than it would be for you to just buy another Type 99. All of the early barrels were chrome lined. It doesn't mean that corrosion can't happen, it's just to help prevent it. And just because a barrel is pitted doesn't mean it can't shoot good. The gun is worth more with it's original barrel anyhow.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am having it done by a gunsmith. He says $100.00. I don't have much in the rifle to start with so cost isn't an issue.

Thanks.

Joe

·
Registered
780 Posts
It'll cost more to replace the barrel than it would be for you to just buy another Type 99. All of the early barrels were chrome lined. It doesn't mean that corrosion can't happen, it's just to help prevent it. And just because a barrel is pitted doesn't mean it can't shoot good. The gun is worth more with it's original barrel anyhow.
Shoot it as is ,it will be fine.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it was just the bore that would not be a problem. But the chamber is badly pitted and the brass comes out in bad shape. It expands into the pits and leaves little raised places on the exterior of the case and the sizing die doesn't like that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.