Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an old 98k that was given to me buy my great grandfather years ago. At some point during his possesion of the rifle, he cut the barrel down about 4", cut the butt off and installed a rubber butt pad, reshaped the grip on the stock, and drilled the reciever for a scope mount. His attempt at drilling the reciever wasn't that great. He drilled all the way through the front of the receiver and then tried to weld the holes shut. I'm wanting to restore this thing back to original military config. and turn it into a repro sniper (since its already been drilled no harm done) I was on numerich's website and saw that they sell brand new reproduction 24" 8mm stepped barrels. All that they are lacking is front and rear sight assy. My question is, will original front and rear sights fit these new barrels?? Also, the front of the reciever was only drilled all the way through in one spot. If I had all the holes professionaly welded, drilled and tapped, would it still be safe to shoot?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This may sound like a dumb question, but what is the difference between this reciever and a mosin nagant ex sniper that has had the screws and pins ground off and then welded? Would the integrity of the mosin ex sniper not be altered as well? Not trying to be a smart ass, just curious.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what you did not make 100% clear is :1 what you mean by drilled thru the receiver - did you mean drilled all the way thru the receiver and barrel into the chamber ??

It was drilled all the way through the top of the receiver just in front of where the barrel threads into the receiver. I'll take it to gunsmith in the morning and see what he says.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.