Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All -

I recently picked up one of the Ethiopian contract FN24 Carbines from RTI.
It arrived with a badly cracked handguard, that finished breaking completely when I stripped the rifle down to clean it up.
Here are pics of the damaged/now broken handguard. Now it is completely broken at the rear of the handguard AND is still cracked toward the front of the handguard...

I either need to repair this or replace this with a compatible handguard from another Mauser.
Anyone here have any idea what model of Mauser carbines are of the same pattern and for which the handguard might be compatible with my FN24 carbine?

Alternately - does anyone have any advice on how to repair the existing handguard? I am a woodworking novice, so if I cannot locate a suitable handguard replacement, I will need to hire someone to repair it. Are any boardies around these parts known as the 'Go-To' person for making these kinds of repairs?

have a great weekend all!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
GOVTMOD
That hand guard will not work. the sight cut out is about right but the rest of it different. There were very few contracts for the 1924 carbine with a short 17.5" barrel. Besides the contract for Abyssinia (Ethiopia) the only other contracts that I can think of off hand were for China and for the Kingdom of the Serbs, Croats, & Slovens. I have one of the Chinese contracts and it too is broken. I have finally come to the realization that I will have to repair it. I will probably have to graft some wood on to the back left side and glue a crack. The only other thought I have is to find a Model 1930 hand guard and graft a longer piece to the front from the rear band out to the upper band. I'm not even sure that will work.
Be Well
Dan

·
Registered
176 Posts
I see. i haven't seen a 1924 carbine up close. If a pic of the full item was posted I might have seen the difference.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Short Carbine handguard

These short carbines seem to have been beat around for sure most of the handguards are in poor condition looking for one for my 1924 Mexico carbine..seen very few avail. the carbines have different size site bases from what Ive seen. This 1924 Mexico carbine has the short/smaller FN sight.

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
I believe the OP is looking for a Short rifle handguard the only 1924 Carbines I know of are Mexican. Are you sure a 1930 carbine handguard wont fit a 1924 Mexican?

A VZ23 or VZ24 or handguard might fit or could be made to fit.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Here is a picture showing the difference between the Model 1930 (top) and the Model 1924 (bottom).

FN24&30b.JPG

Both were made without a bayonet lug and have the bracket on the right hand side of the stock

FN24&30a.JPG

Dan

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I believe the OP is looking for a Short rifle handguard the only 1924 Carbines I know of are Mexican. Are you sure a 1930 carbine handguard wont fit a 1924 Mexican?

The 1924 Mexican is a model designation by Mexico so it is somewhat different than either of these two. I don't have a Mexican Model 1924 carbine to show the difference. The Model designation of 1924 and 1930 are FN factory designations to differentiate between the different receiver lengths. The 1924 is a shorter length than the 1930.
Dan

·
Registered
176 Posts
These are which contract? The only FN M1930 pattern carbines I'm familiar with have bayonet lugs and the handguards don't go to the upper band. The Mexican 1924 handguard doesn't either.

Here is a picture shwing the difference between the Model 1930 (top) and the Model 1924 (bottom).

View attachment 3697133

Both were made without a bayonet lug and have the bracket on the right hand side of the stock

View attachment 3697135

Dan

·
Registered
176 Posts
The 1924 Mexican is a model designation by Mexico so it is somewhat different than either of these two. I don't have a Mexican Model 1924 carbine to show the difference. The Model designation of 1924 and 1930 are FN factory designations to differentiate between the different receiver lengths. The 1924 is a shorter length than the 1930.
Dan
I am aware of this.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Hey All -

I recently picked up one of the Ethiopian contract FN24 Carbines from RTI.
It arrived with a badly cracked handguard, that finished breaking completely when I stripped the rifle down to clean it up.
Here are pics of the damaged/now broken handguard. Now it is completely broken at the rear of the handguard AND is still cracked toward the front of the handguard...

I either need to repair this or replace this with a compatible handguard from another Mauser.
Anyone here have any idea what model of Mauser carbines are of the same pattern and for which the handguard might be compatible with my FN24 carbine?

Alternately - does anyone have any advice on how to repair the existing handguard? I am a woodworking novice, so if I cannot locate a suitable handguard replacement, I will need to hire someone to repair it. Are any boardies around these parts known as the 'Go-To' person for making these kinds of repairs?

have a great weekend all!
I'm pretty sure I can fix that. PM your contact info if interested. By the way I am a full time gunsmith and specialize in wood repair.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
These are which contract? The only FN M1930 pattern carbines I'm familiar with have bayonet lugs and the handguards don't go to the upper band. The Mexican 1924 handguard doesn't either.
Sorry, I forgot to state that the top one, the Model 1930 is from the Venezuelan pre-war contract. The lower one is a Model 1924 from the Chinese contract. It's receiver is dated 1933. Both have the FN inspection mark of a boxed N on the face of the for-end cap so I know that the lug has not been cut off. Also in the 5th edition of Ball's "Mauser Rifles of the World" I found mention of both in John Wall's charts of FN Mauser rifles. There is also a picture of the Chinese carbine in the book but no picture of the Venezuelan carbine. Both are almost unheard of by collectors. I wasn't sure what I was getting when I bought them but research has proven them to be real.
Dan

·
Registered
1,604 Posts

I can't say for sure because I'm still looking for an affordable Mexican M1924. However the barrel on the Mexican is about 1 1/2 to 2 inches shorter than the barrel on a M1930 so the hand guard may also be shorter
Dan

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have found 1 handguard of similar size but wasnt a match for my 1924 which has a shorter sight base..Will have to get them out to get exact measurements..heres a pic of the Mexican 1924 forend...

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sorry, I forgot to state that the top one, the Model 1930 is from the Venezuelan pre-war contract. The lower one is a Model 1924 from the Chinese contract. It's receiver is dated 1933. Both have the FN inspection mark of a boxed N on the face of the for-end cap so I know that the lug has not been cut off. Also in the 5th edition of Ball's "Mauser Rifles of the World" I found mention of both in John Wall's charts of FN Mauser rifles. There is also a picture of the Chinese carbine in the book but no picture of the Venezuelan carbine. Both are almost unheard of by collectors. I wasn't sure what I was getting when I bought them but reseach as proven them to be real.
Dan
I see, you had your references backwards originally. I hadn't seen any refences to the Venezuelan with no lug. I looked in MMRW, 5th but didn't catch any reference maybe I glossed over too quick. I didn't see any reference to it FN Mauser Rifles either. Not arguing, just learning.

·
Registered
176 Posts
BTW i just found the little bugger in the MMRW. I think the specs listed are wrong though, the barrel is obviously shorter than 22.5"

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
The Chinese 1924 is described in one of John Wall's tables on page 47 of Ball's 5th edition. It is pictured on the bottom of page 87. The Venezuelan 1930 is described in the same table on page 53 but it is not illustrated anywhere in Ball's book. He describes a post war carbine on page 397 and erroneously calls it a Model 24/30 of which there is no such FN model designation. It is a Model 1930 as were all of the FN rifles and carbines that Venezuela bought both pre-war and post war.
Vanderlinden only mentions the Chinese contract in passing on page 288. He doesn't mention either of the two carbines without a bayonet lug. However John wall did extensive study of FN's products and can be relied upon for accuracy. John Wall also mentions the same configuration of a Model 1924 carbine for the Serbs, Croats, & Slovenes on page 54 of Vanderlinden's book. I would sure like to find one of those.
Dan

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Hombredeluxe

I'm sorry, I didn't intend to hijack your thread. I'm sure all of us would like to see pictures of your Abyssinian (Ethiopian) carbine.
Dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you for the responses all!

The depth of the collective knowledge members have on this site over the tiniest of details is very impressive...
A local furniture repair guy - not a gun guy - offered to fix it right up with gorilla glue and clamps for $60 lol. I asked him about using some brass pins or other mechanical method to assist with the bond, he scoffed so I don't think I'm going to entrust such an apparently irreplaceable handguard to someone with no experience with firearms.

I have a PM into one of the members on this site and hope that I will soon have a clear path forward.
I will definitely circle back around with pictures after the handguard has been repaired and the rifle cleaned up, oiled up and ready to go.
Thanks again all!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts