Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
15,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pictures below show how I repaired, re-attached, or "stretched" the missing fore arm of this carbine.

I used a wooden dowel in the cleaning rod channel for alignment and strength, sacrificing the ability to accommodate a cleaning rod. I made this choice as I have been unable to reliably drill deep holes in the end grain of wood, the drill bit always follows the grain and sometimes comes out the side, where it is a real pain in the a...

One before picture shows how the fore arm was cut by some unknown individual who thought the neat, compact carbine was somehow too unwieldy. Obviously he never hunted hogs and needed a bayonet.;)

A T 38 rifle/carbine upper band retainer and band were fitted. The barrel is too large in diameter for the normal T 30 bayonet, the Chinese bayonet had a slightly larger diameter hole in the barrel ring; but the spacing is the same to the lug.

Steel pins of 1/16" diameter were also added from the inside for additional strength at the joint. Brownell's Acraglass paste form was used for this repair.

The addition was only partially finished, due to the fact that the "edges" were yet to be restored. The original finish and color can be seen in several of the pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Don,
What type of wood did you use? Nice work by the way. I'll have to look at the "sporters" a little harder.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ed,
I used a piece of wood that Stan Zielensky had kindly sent me years ago. I'm not sure of the wood, it may be beech; as beech is very similar to the oriental wood originally used.

Good question and another example of how this job could not have been done as well or at all, without the help and contributions of others!

·
Gold Bullet member
1,411 Posts
Nice job Don. Thanx for the picture explanation.
Chuck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts