Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
Hambone and I myself have been doing this for some years now... ...Anyhow if you take this serious as guys like Ham and myself...the I's are dotted and the Tee's are crossed.
Sorry.... Thought my comments were serious.... I seem to have missed Ham's explanation on the importance of getting things lined up being very important in my first read of the thread, and not seeing it, thought it needed to be mentioned. I now see that it is explained pretty well. So I apologize for stepping on this thread with my low level experience, and less than serious attitude.

·
Banned
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Not to speak for GB Bill, but I think he was just expanding on what you were saying and agreeing. Folks forget about that missing tiny slice of wood you refer to.....and it makes a big difference in getting the parts back together. As you say, it's not as simple as just gluing the front and back. I've never repaired a Gew.98, only K98ks, and several Vz.24s. It's tougher I'm sure, with not as much to work with. More skill in thinking that one through. I do know at one time I thought Devcon would be enough, no pins. I thought wrong......

·
Banned
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I don't want to be stickying my own stuff too much as mod, but if you guys think this is worth it I will. Appreciate the comments, as every pseudo craftsman appreciates compliments. My wife just shrugged.

·
Banned
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The whole thing:

·
Silver Bullet member
2,136 Posts
This fixing of a Mauser stock is the best repair I have seen, I've learned something. I would like to show you a little jig I make for this same purpose.

I have a short peice of barrel for the main stock and another peice for the cut off forearm and reverse the block to drill holes so the pins will match and its easier to align holes.

·
Banned
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Well done Riceone! That makes my process look fairly crude. Same general idea though. Thanks for posting that.

·
Banned
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Gunny,
That's some outstanding work! I don't use fibreglass because my repairs have been very simple compared to yours, and merely consist of "gluing" the front end and back end, with a little filler. I don't know which is stronger, Devcon or fibreglass, but I know Devcon is tough stuff. It would not blend well over a large repair like fibreglass. Again, really exceptional work. My work is simplistic compared to what you and Riceone have done.
Regards,
HB

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Gunny,
That's some outstanding work! I don't use fibreglass because my repairs have been very simple compared to yours, and merely consist of "gluing" the front end and back end, with a little filler. I don't know which is stronger, Devcon or fibreglass, but I know Devcon is tough stuff. It would not blend well over a large repair like fibreglass. Again, really exceptional work. My work is simplistic compared to what you and Riceone have done.
Regards,
HB
HB
Your work is very good. It took some time for me to get to where I am today, like 20 years.
Devcon is some good stuff but it does not blend good with wood. Fiberglass resin tends to soak into the wood giving you a stronger bond.
And when it cures it can be worked almost like wood.
Fiberglass is easy to work with but there are a few tricks that you have to learn, like using wax paper, past wax, clay, tape and sanding dust.
I do a lot of repair work and also help any one that wants to do it themself.
I would like to find someone that lives close by that would like to learn how to do stock work.

·
Registered
55 Posts
G-41M

I just picked up a beautiful G-41M that has been duffel cut ,I am afraid to try to repair it as it is so rare I don,t want to screw it up. I live in Georgia and so far no one knows anything about working with rifle stocks. Any suggestions.?

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.