Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy Folks:D

I'm an new C&R license holder and have acquired a Yugo 59/66 from J&G sales. Overall it is in very good condition and I am pleased with it. The rifle has a minor mechanical issue with the extractor. In that I am able to remove the extractor without out driving out the firing pin retaining pin. I think this can be resolved with a replacement firing pin retaining pin.

This rifle has some graffiti carved into the stock and matching writing on the sling. I was wondering if anyone knows a little about the history of these rifles and would care to share what the know. Here are a few pictures of the rifle in question.

I am also including a few pictures of the bolt showing the gap between the "D" shaped head of the firing pin retaining pin and the extractor.

Thanks to the admins the new board is great!

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,379 Posts
I measured my Yugo extractor and the firing pin retaining pin. Yours does have excessive gap upon visual inspection. It could be a shortened retainer pin or extractor. It is possibe that someone shortened the extractor to get it in place as a replacement etc. because they could not get the firing pin retainer out. They can be quite tough to remove. Anyhow, I hope the measurements help and be sure to try to get that old pin out before you order any replacement parts. Cause it may be really in there and if the weapon does not malfunction it may have to stay that way. I would fix it however, were I you.

retainer pin is 310 thousands from rounded end to flat where it meets the extractor
extractor measured 1 inch and 420 thousands from end to end - retainer pin end to front of bolt area of extractor.

·
Silver Bullet member
333 Posts
AKBlue is right, there shouldn't be much of any gap, looks like someone decided they knew a better way to put 'er back together.:(

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much! Especially for the measurements. The good news is I've removed the firing pin retainer pin and brought the bolt to parade rest to ensure that there was now cosmo gunk to cause a slam fire.

I don't think it was a domestic bubba job on the extractor retaining pin combo because I got this rifle from J&G sales. Could have been a Yugo field mod or arsenal blunder. But I'm going to order a new firing pin retaining pin and try that first. I found a few sources and they are under $5.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In trying to determine the carving and writing on the stock and sling, I come up with the Cyrillic letters ГРГА . Some things come up on a Google search of ГРГА but are beyond my ability to noodle out even when running a "translate this page". Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

·
Diamond Member
5,816 Posts
jklein, congrats on the new rifle. Not often you find a "matching sling". Probably a name...G R G AH ?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I measured my Yugo extractor and the firing pin retaining pin. Yours does have excessive gap upon visual inspection. It could be a shortened retainer pin or extractor. It is possibe that someone shortened the extractor to get it in place as a replacement etc. because they could not get the firing pin retainer out. They can be quite tough to remove. Anyhow, I hope the measurements help and be sure to try to get that old pin out before you order any replacement parts. Cause it may be really in there and if the weapon does not malfunction it may have to stay that way. I would fix it however, were I you.

retainer pin is 310 thousands from rounded end to flat where it meets the extractor
extractor measured 1 inch and 420 thousands from end to end - retainer pin end to front of bolt area of extractor.
AKBLUE -- I thank you for helping me verify the part that needs to be replaced.

The measurements on my rifle:

retainer pin from apex of curve to flat end is .262 thousands
extractor end to end measured to 1 inch and 423 thousands

That means I have additional gap of .048 thousands that allows for enough backward movement of the extractor to permit removal.

So a new firing pin retainer pin is on order. I am thinking about having a friend weld a little material on the end of my existing pin. Then I can shape, heat treat and save for a spare.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Repaired at last -- Repaired at last :)

Finally took the time to replace the firing pin retaining pin in the bolt. The good news is now it works like a charm. I had to fit the new piece with a stone. This only took a few minutes. Now the extractor stays put like it should.

Picture showing the old pin background and the new pin in the foreground. This new pin needed to be shape to fit the recess in the bolt.

Picture of the bolt post repair. Notice the gap between the extractor and flat portion of the retaining pin is much smaller.

I have headspace gauges 7.62 x 39 and will attempt to check the headspace. Will need to look up the proper procedure. I have verified headspace on an AKM but not on the SKS enough to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Verified Headspace and Took her dancing at the range.

After repairing the firing pin retaining pin I verified headspace. I took a photo sequence for show and tell. Below is just the bolt inserted without a gauge or bullet . (Note the gap at the bottom rear of the bolt assembly. The bolt carrier as it comes forward to would depress the bolt down into this gap effectively putting the weapon in battery.

Below I have pushed down on the bolt placing it in battery which allows the trigger to release the hammer and strike the back of the firing pin.

The next photo depicts the no-go gauge lovingly placed under the extractor in the bolt head. The next step is to place the bolt with gauge into the chamber.

Notice that the gap at the rear of the bolt will still permit the bolt being pushed down and into battery. The picture may not show it well but the gap is slightly smaller than without the go gauge.

Once again depressing the bolt allowed the weapon to be placed into battery. This would then permit the trigger to release the hammer and strike the rear of the firing pin

Change the gauge to the No-Go and then reinsert in the chamber.

The gap behind the bolt is smaller and when the bolt is depressed with my finger the bolt does not go into battery and does not allow the trigger to release the hammer, thus not allowing the rifle to fire out of battery.

After checking the headspace on the SKS I took it to the range and fired at the 50 yard line. The rifle preformed well and was not at fault that most of the rounds grouped two inches right of target center. I blame that on the shooter. :)

I certainly had fun getting this rifle ready for the range and hope my experience might help a fellow shooter.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Grga is a man's name, and was the first name of a well-known Croatian historical figure. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grga_Martić
Thanks for the info. I think that the name on the sling and the rifle give this piece unique character. I'll probably try and pic up another Yugo 59/66. I found they are comfortable shooters and the lenght is more to my liking than the Norinco SKS I had tried before.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another View of the same rifle :)

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bump for ThirtyCal

Resurrecting thread for ThirtyCal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts