Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
94,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently the racers are having a bad day at Reno. Just heard a news bite on the radio, collision with one driver killed, another with life-threatening injuries if I heard it right, and apparently two others killed on the ground.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters and Swords member
11,170 Posts
Here is the posting from their web site.

eternal flights . . .

The Reno Air Racing Association Board of Directors and staff expresses its heartfelt condolences to the friends and families of the members of our pilot community who have lost their lives this week.

It is difficult for all of us to cope with the loss of Biplane Class racer Steve Dari, Jet Class racer Brad Morehouse, and Formula One racer Gary Hubler. We will miss them.

We hope that their fellow race pilots, fans, and all of the attendees who come to the National Championship Air Races for the remainder of this week, will find some small solace in sharing the joy of flight and the blessings of our aviation heritage while remembering the contributions Steve, Brad and Gary made through their participation in this event.

There will be no further racing on Friday 14 Sept., although our airshow will go on. We expect to resume racing on Saturday and Sunday. The published race and air show schedules will certainly be changed to compensate for today's suspension of racing - please do not plan your visit around any specific air show or race event.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
94,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently the only warbird was a fatal crash of an L-39 Albatross Wednesday or Thursday. First one was Tuesday, a bipe that crashed after take-off for competition, and then a three plane collision of Formula One birds yesterday, with one pilot bailing out successfully, one seriously injured, one killed, and two people on the ground hurt after somebody clipped a pylon. A bad week at Reno and my heart goes out to the families and friends of those lost.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,789 Posts
Hooo boy, I'm glad I didn't take my kids. My seven year old loves seeing 'Papa's planes,' the WWII era aircraft of my father's generation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts