Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Gold Bullet Member
1,366 Posts
That's a difficult question without knowing what's on it or when it was applied. It could be traditional varnish, polyurethane, schlac, acrylic clear coat, etc. And unfortunately there is no place on the rifle to perform a "test removal". I recommend starting out with the most mild substance first and progressing to harsher products as needed. Start out using a light amount, a clean rag and some elbow grease. My first step would rubbing alcohol. If that doesn't work you can progress to paint thinner, gasoline, turpinetine or maybe even accetone. Most of these products evaporate very quickly so if you use a modest amount outdoors they should evaporate before they really soak into the wood. Make sure the wood is very dry before you move on to other products.
Believe it or not, the best remover of varnish (or other similar products) is the sun. I should know as I have a wooden 1957 Lymann boat and every year I have to re-varnish the decks as the sun kills the finish in just 4-5 months. But I doubt you want to leave your rifle on your back deck all summer while sun breaks down the clear coat on it. Good luck and be patient.

· Gold Bullet Member
1,366 Posts
Gasoline is actually a pretty cheap and effective solvent. I know we think $3.40 a gallon is insane (and it is) but when you compare it to buying a quart of another solvent for $4, $5 or $6 from Home Depot it's actually a better deal. Pour a little in a coffee can and its great for cleaning brushes, engine parts, etc. Fortunately I don't smoke so I don't have to worry about torching my house.

· Gold Bullet Member
1,366 Posts
I find it ironic that on a site devoted to guns which are deadly by design that you would exclude using something that is reasonably safe when common sense is applied. Many people are seriously injured or die every year from gun accidents but that doesn't prevent us from collecting and shooting our Arisakas. I hope it goes without saying that when you use gasoline you have to take reasonable precautions. Use it outdoors or in a well ventilated area. Keep the cigs, bongs, flamethrowers and other fire producing items away. We all use gasoline everyday in our cars, lawnmowers, weedwackers, snowblowers, RC toys, boats, chainsaws etc and manage not to blow up. Pouring a little gas from your lawnmower jug onto a rag should be a relatively safe thing to do. Sorry to have gotten off track from your original tread.

· Gold Bullet Member
1,366 Posts
Hey Topside - I bet you're more confused now than when you posted the question. Clearly there numerous opinions that span the spectrum and often contradict each other. Personally I think people are over reacting to the use of gas (keep in mind that was not my 1st or only suggestion) but the first Amendment is alive and well and others are certainly entitled to their opinions. I also wouldn't use steel wool no matter how fine it is as it may scratch the original finish and wood. Its too close to sanding for me. Good luck - CC

· Gold Bullet Member
1,366 Posts
Dullcoat will turn just about anything flat. However as you mentioned its designed to cover the sheen of glossy paint or its cousin "Closscoat". If you plan on doing anything with your rifle other than hanging it on a wall the Dullcoat will rub off with basic handling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.