Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,245 Posts
Ok, all's probably not lost...

The mag catch can be easily removed but I do not think that is your problem.

I've had a few mags that performed similarly. All they required was a few strokes of a file across the catch notch in the mag casing to allow the catch to sink in and grab it. If you file and test you can have very firm and reliable grip of the mag while also eliminating any looseness. In fact, in a way I consider it a plus as I've had poorly made 1911 mags that were very loose and rattled noticeably.

Anyhow, by your description I think that is your problem.

Look at the mag button closely when you insert the mag. Does it sink a bit then pop up and engage? If the button doesn't sink and then pop up, it isn't catching.

· Registered
1,245 Posts
When I insert a mag the button does not move (at any point).
OK.

First, sorry for the first post. I reread it and I was a bit confusing. I editted it.

What you describe is happening probably because the catch at no time dips into the mag catch notch. Meaning, the notch needs to have a bit removed from the top/flat portion of the notch to allow the catch to grab it. The catch itself can be filed but I prefer to mod the mags as not all of them have to be and I do not want a sloppy fit to those that don't.

As for removing the catch, easy. First, remember the slot is NOT a screwdriver slot. The slot is the space between two "wings" that are spreading out and gripping the frame.

If you want to remove the catch, merely apply pressure on both side of the slot and push to the center, to close the wings of the catch. It pops right out.

· Registered
1,245 Posts
Push from out, IN. That is, to close the slot shut. Forget the forked tool. Some guys like that method for the mag catch and the fp retaining pin {same concept} but I don't. I take two leather-working awls and simply push in. Putting the gun in a vice might help, but on my two Toks is unnecessary.

Please understand this is my long-distance diagnosis. It MIGHT not be the problem, tho it sounds identical to the problem I experienced.

· Registered
1,245 Posts
Awesome, I finally managed to knock out the mag catch! It's hard to tell whether or not there is a problem with it. The edge seems to have been ground down a bit (no bluing left), but I don't know whether or not it was enough to impact the function of the gun like I've experienced. I'm going to take one of the mags and file it down to see if that's the issue (like you suggested). Worst that could happen is I need to replace a mag and tok mags are cheap enough so it's worth the experiment.

Bravo!!

It's one of those gun jobs that is certainly impossible until you do it once, and they it's easy!! :D

File and test, file and test. Don't take off too much at once and you shouldn't ruin the mag.

Hopefully it'll work AOK.

By the way, mine is like yours; blued than filed. I suspect it fit for whatever mag fixture they used in assembly. Too bad it didn't fit on the real thing! :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.